Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
My Dad is concerned about a burning pain in his hip. He said it isn't there all of the time and he can relieve it a bit by rubbing it. He's afraid that all of his muscles are going to feel like that in time. I've read of muscle cramps with ALS. Is the burning pain a symptom as well? I have a burning pain in my hip almost every night due to arthritis. He has arthritis as well, but doesn't think that's what it is. Does it sound like an ALS symptom? If so, would something as simple as bengay help for a while?

It's on my list of things to ask the doc next week, but just thought I'd check in with my expert friends here.

Last edited:
Honestly, as someone with arthritis in both hips, it sounds like arthritis to me, especially if he gets temporary relief from massage.

I too have recently had burning sensation pain in my upper thighs and shins lately. I find relief in rubbing the muscles too.
I find that heat really helps a lot. I was trying to wean off of the Baclofen that I was on, but I think that I will up it again and see if that helps.

Bob used to get swelling and a burning sensation in his heels in bed at night. He started wearing pressure socks during the day which kept down the swelling and then we put a pillow just under his ankles so his feet wouldn't touch the mattress or anything while he slept. This helped him a lot. I think the burning, for Bob anyway, was due to lack of movement although he had range of motion exercises twice a week, massages from me and he moved his feet when he could and after that I would help him with that.

Put a message pad or heat pad on it..that usually helps my problem areas.

Massage....why can I never spell that word right? haha.

The burning pain might be caused by the weight on the hip. As muscle loss occurs the structures that hold the joint are gone this causes aches, pain and burning much like arthritis. Repositioning can help that as well as the heat and massage

I would agree, massage helps with my muscle pain some what.

Thanks, everyone!

Anyone with sudden onset of pain in a leg needs to be tested first for a blood clot. Pain in the calf is a classic first sign--though the pain can be elsewhere if a clot moves. For me, even with 30+ years experience in the medical field, missed the signs in myself and darn near died from clots moving to my lungs.

There is a blood test that can tell if there is a clot. If that test shows one is present, they can do an ultrasound to try and find it.

If not a clot, I'm afraid I don't have much to offer other than trying ice/heat and elevation if swelling is an issue. Those lidoderm patches can also help if it's just muscle spasm pain--or other muscle relaxers.

Thanks for all of the jnfo!. I will follow up with the nurse.

For pain relief I can thoroughly reccommend a TENS machine. They are not expensive and usually give relief almost immediately

Hi TRB1, just did a little internet search on TENS. I've never heard of it before. Did your doctor prescribe it or did you buy it yourself?

Sharlene, When you go to Clinic on Monday discuss your Dad's hip pain with his PT and ask about the use of the TENS unit. If they think it will be helpful they can give you a script or you may be able to get one at VA. My daughter used one with much success for a hip strain.

I will. Thanks, Deb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back