lisaohgee

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
IL
City
Evergreen Park
My mom's hospice social worker told me that at a certain point the body will start rejecting the food, since it won't be digesting it properly. He said at that point the nurses would recommend stopping the food, and then death would be imminent.

Has anyone experienced this? She's only currently getting two cans of a food a day through the PEG tube.

Hello lisaohgee
My mother was also tube fed. Before she died she wasn't able to tolerate anything by tube, first she couldnt manage her feed, then water wasn't tolerated and finally even medicine wouldn't go down. She would just vomit. It became clear that using the tube brought her more discomfort and pain than using it. Our doctor likened it to someone who when very ill cannot take food even if they can still physically eat.

You mention imminent death after the non toleration of food. I would say this was one of a range of things which happened during her dying. It wasn't so much one thing which made it clear she was moving towards death but a whole range of exacerbations.

You two are so strong. I admire you very much Lisa and Avril.

I didn't think it would be the main reason -- I mean, she's currently dying as far as I am concerned, but one can only live so long without food or water.

Her breathing is diminished on one side, but no crackling or sounds, the nurse told me today. This almost saddens me, because I know my mom is ready to stop suffering.

Of course. God's strength and comfort to you Lisa.

Lisa, I'm so very sorry about the situation with your mother. Have they mentioned a continuous feed, say, during the night? My husband was able to tolerate that better.

Brooksea, no they haven't. My mom hates the feeding tube though, so I doubt she'd okay that.

Lisa, I'm sorry for the suffering. Truly, I think this is one of the hardest parts-seeing someone we love struggle. For us continuous overnight feed had been part of our picture for 16 months before the body started shutting down. I am trying to remember how long she was without absolutely no food or drink before she died. I think it was something like 7-10 days. At the same time infection was present and breathing was weak so there was a lot going on. She outlived the medics expectations by about a week. Her body performed a very orderly shut down, no slipping away quickly. At first I thought she was hanging on for her sister to arrive from the US but that event came and went, then I thought she was waiting to hear I would survive afterwards...and still she hung on. She went in her own time in her own way and the various sufferings seemed to play their part somehow. Can't explain it except to say she died pretty much as she lived:giving it her all. I pray you find the strength to be with your mom in these difficult times. Thinking of you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back