Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Sask
City
The land of living skies
My mom is now into 16 months since diagnosis, we cheer the little stuff, she is still eatting, chewing and swallowing, and breathing on her own and we mourn the other losses, she has loss use of her arms but can move a few fingers on one hand. She is totally dependant on my step dad for everything, 24/7 care is required, respite is a godsent, for both of them. She has a wonderful palliative care guy who has been able to fast track her a bed in a home, they will do respite the opposite way. It wasnt an easy decision but it is time. My mom has some good days and some bad days, to which we all do and she is certainly entitled too. I hate the disease and what its done to my mom, my family, my life.......and so many others. I still I find I am somewhat reeling with emotions daily, how much of that is normal? does it ever stop?

Allow yourself to be emotional but also enjoy each moment with your mum. Create new memories and share old ones together. From your neighbor in Alberta. Yasmin

Cheers to your Mom~eating, chewing, swallowing & breathing on her own :-D how wonderful is that?! I too am delighted that my Dad is still able to eat/shew/swallow/breathe on his own. And I will have a huge smile on my face everytime he does it! Because once he can't, for him, his time will be limited.

I am also with you with the rollercoaster of emotions. It is never ending. I personnally try not to get down or upset around my Dad because he gets so emotional at times. But other than that I will let my emotions go where they need to go re: this evil disease! There's nothing fair about this disease to the person that has it to all family/friends that are involved.
I think having emotions daily is normal. Like you said there's ups & downs, some days are good days some not so much. Your emotions go along with it. I agree with cervus, create the new memories & talk about the old memories and enjoy every moment you can. Every moment is a gift :)

>>>>HUGS<<<<

I am 63 yrs. old and never cried my whole life not even at my parents funeral. Since my wife was diagnosed in 2009, I could have filled up the Mississippi with tears. This monster ALS will completely tear your heart and soul out. Just when your PALS is stable something else will pop up to cause havoc. Seeing someone go downhill is not easy. At least with cancer or some other disease they go and are gone. Not this horror. It likes to use the pals and caregiver up in waves. The only solace I get is to remember that this too will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back