Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
Bruce is is using the resperonic cough assist machine, it works fine, but the part that actually hooks to the machine, has that piece that has a filter to it. It looks nasty, how or do you clean it. She told me to clean the tubing with part vinegar and part water, the actual mask oiece could be washed in dish detergent, but she forgot to tell me about the filter.:confused:

Call your RT and he/she can replace it.

The filter is not cleanable and should be replaced.

Thanks I will give her a call, must need to change them a lot, he has only been using the machine around 2 to 3 weeks.

In reading the book the filter, which protects the device from entrainng foreign material from the patient, can be left in place as long as it is not blocked by sputum or trapped moisture. Do not try to wash the filter.

I also have to get new filters.

One of my home care aides washed the hose without removing the filter and the next time I tried to use the machine there was no suction, luckily I had a spare.

Odd, my machine doesn't seem to have such a filter.

Called the Rt she is going to have some more sent out. I did soak it in water and vinegar, hope I did not damage it until he gets the other one. Hal so good to here from you, I think about you and hope things aren't too bad:)

You should replace the hose regularly also. I have several that I switch on and off with as they really need to dry out before using them again. You should be able to get a lot of filters, if not you can buy them online. So not wash them! I also flush ours with antibacterial soap and hang over the shower handles to dry.

Laura how do you open that piece up to get the new filter in? I tried twisting it, pulling it...Do I ask the Rt for extra hose?

You replace the whole piece. You don't change the filter inside. Hal - you need to have a filter! It goes between the hose and the machine.

well no wonder I could not get it apart:) glad to know that. Boy be glad when they bring another one...nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back