Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
Uni
State
TX
City
Rio Grande City
does anyone have good tip on selecting an electric generator, so my bipap doesnt shut down when the electricity is cut?

I’m no expert butt I bought one a couple years ago for that very reason. Do you want to operate other items besides your bipap? Who is going to operate it?

yes i want the air condition and my area of the house lit...2.5 tons is my aircon..

I have a whole house generator (Generac). We happen to like this one the best. We originally bought it because my Mom had lung cancer and we needed to keep her oxygen going, and other things also. We have the bedrooms, family room, kitchen, AC, garage, appliances (all), and the laundry room. That would really be all we need. My husband has ALS and I will need everything functioning as he is progressing. Since we live in Florida with the wonderful thunderstorms and hurricanes we will need it.

Thanks, I was looking at that brand. I had a terrible experience happen to me last thursday so need to buy one fast.. my fb post below.

JUST HAD TO SHARE: Yesterday I got a coughing attack when the storm hit, I also got asthma...then the electricity went off and my bipap turned off. My sister and my parents tried to rush me to the van to plug me to the bipap.. i got half way there and I died...I saw the light and felt so peacful.. I told god i wasn't ready..my lips and fingers were purple..my sister said I was in and out and spoke another language..my oxygen level was 54. The ambulance came and gave me oxygen..they rushed me to the hospital.. I am at home and fine now. God is with us and heaven exists.

I will say to you welcome back and please get yourself a generator. Ours cost about $2500.00 on sale. You will need an electrician to install it. Find someone you know. It is worth the price and you can deduct it off your income tax for medical purposes.

Thank you for letting us in on your experience. I know there is a God because he allows me to feel it in my heart.

I'm afraid your needs are greater than my knowledge, you need to talk with an electrician about what your wattage needs are especially if you want to run your central air.. I''m guessing but you probably wil need a generator in the $4000--5000 range. sorry I couldn't
help.

We also have a generac whole house generator. We had it installed last fall and have not had a time when the power was off very long (at least I am not aware if it has been) to really see how well it does. I don't remember the size, but it's big. It will power the whole house, keep the pool filtration system working and have enough left over for a few of the neighbors to hook electric cords too. Of course, we would try to conserve as much as possible but wanted it to handle whatever.
We live in the Houston area. When Ike came through, we heard on the news of a man with ALS who was on a vent. He was a veteran and the VA paid for the gas to power their regular generator. Gas was at a big shortage though, and the VA (or anyone for that matter) didn't know if they were going to be able to get him more gas before his ran out. We had a very small house at the time, but located them through the ALS Association to offer a place for them to go. Our power came on very quickly. Fortunately for them, theirs did too.
That experience let us to decide on a whole house generator. It may not be as important for someone who does not have to worry about hurricanes and such. Some people here were without power for around 2 weeks.
My brotherr-in-law who is an electrician recommended the Generac.

I believe the Generac is a good model. But to help Josall above the Generator comes with an electrical panel for the electrician to hook it up. It is big so you would need a good open wall space to install it. It is worth every penney you pay for it whether it is $5000 or $2500 (we happened to catch a 50% day) I am thankful for it every day. Home Depot, Lowes and also talk to a Generac person (find number on internet) let them tell who else sells them. Ask them about wanting to get a nice deal on one. You never know what they will say.

About the generator is about your money.The perfect generator is propane driven,not gas,you want a generator that starts itself and runs every week for testing.You want to buy it from an electrical company that is well know for service.-----------GOOG LUCK

Ken, thank you--with your experience, I hoped you'd give insight!

The Generac does start itself and does a self check once a week. Ours comes on every Monday morning and runs the house for 15 minutes. We never know about it unless I am in the yard or in the bathroom or bedroom closest to where it is outside. Then I hear it. It is quite loud. I guess all generators are, but that did surprise me.

We also have a generator, but not a whole house generator. It is capable of covering our basement, our bedroom and the stair glides. We spent approx $1,000 for it from Home Depot. It also has a panel box that is hooked up to our breaker box so when the electricity comes back on, it will not damage our house.

We also have a battery pack that keeps the BiPap running until we can get to my husband and switch over to the generator. We bought it from the Battery Geeks for about $500. The battery lasts for about 6 hours and is rechargable.

Thank you for telling us about your visit to heaven. :)

Are generators something perhaps MDA or ALSA would have in loaner closets? They certainly should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back