Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MO
City
St. Louis
Hi I'm new to these forums, but I have a question that's been burning since my mom died of ALS in 1995.

Is it genetic? I would assume not...since no one else in my family has ever had it, then she got it in 1992. I freak out every time I get a muscle spasm or a nerve that is pinched. No numbness associated, but it still scares me.

What are the odds I could get the disease if my mom died from it?

Thanks.

Some cases of ALS are genetic, some are not. If your mom is the only member of your family to have died from ALS, it is most likely she had the spontaneous form, so relax. And don't feel bad... I don't think there's a single person that's spent time around ALS that hasn't frozen in their tracks after feeling a muscle twitch or swallowing something "wrong".

that's a form on spontaneity I could have lived without...

from your point of view I would think spontaneous s better than genetic!

it is...but on the flip side of making sure i'm ok, i also wish there was a reason that my mom had to get it...not that i'd wish that kind of childhood on anyone else...but there is an element of why her? why me? which is childish i admit...but the fact remains...

Roughly 5 to 10 % of ALS cases are familial. Chances are, your mom's was sporadic. There is more info in the links at the bottom of this page.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back