Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
What kinds of vitamins and supplements should my Pals be taking. he takes a multi vitamin, vtiamin e. Would really like to know what seems to help..Thanks

I know UCSF recommends a protocol including a multi vitamin, Vitamins C & E and beta carotene. All are available online in powder form for those with difficulty swallowing. I believe the recommended dosage is available on their ALS website.

All One brand makes a good powdered vitamin, different variations. If you email them, or even call, they will send out a free sample packet (or at least they did for me a couple of years ago). In the US, the Vitamin Shoppe carries their products.

However, I got tired of the mixing, and am unable to drink much at once, so I switched to a liquid vitamin supplement. Nature's Way brand: Alive. This one is available as tablet too, but not powdered. I purchase at Whole Foods Markets, but it is available online and perhaps other local outlets.

Besides this, I take COQ 10, E, resveratrol, and a fish oil. Personally, this is all I'm really committed to taking each day, although there are many people who take additional. I'm at my limit because of difficulty in swallowing them. Also, although not a supplement, I add a half dose of generic miralax to my coffee each morning.

Some studies suggest that high dose vitamin C may be neuroprotective in some neuropathies, so that's worth a try. I went to a meeting recently and asked the Proffessor about coQ10, unfortunately he said the theory that it could work stands, but as yet they cannot get the stuff absorbed into the cells. Trials here in NZ changed the molecule to try and get it into the cells in Parkinsons, but it was a failure. So it just goes straight back out. I was taking it, but after that I saved my money. Small doses of vitaminD, especially if your PALS is not getting out much.

Thanks Katie, Rose, and Aly. Ok I got the CQ10, VitaminD, B Complex, magnesium, and he already takes a multivitamin, and C and E. Oh and I heard something about spiralina, coconut oil, and NAC. I know I probably wasted too much money on these, but if they may help I will get them for him, if not I will take him off some.

Just please don't stress about supplements and vitamins.

There is still no scientific evidence that any supplements or vitamins make a difference - it is all conjecture and the recommendations change as often as the latest fashions.

When I was first diagnosed I spent hundreds of dollars every month on vitamins and supplements: bee pollen, green tea, evening primrose oil, milk thistle extract, grape seed, vitamins A-Z, CoQ10 etc. What a waste.

I’ve pretty much stopped taking anything now.

It is my opinion that the money spent on vitamins and supplements would have a greater therapeutic affect if directed towards a vacation or equipment fund instead

I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin c (1000mgs), vitamin e (400eu) and a little pill of b12. I decided on the b12 myself just to see if my fascics, spasms and cramps would tone down a bit. I think the verdict is still out on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back