Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Cayuga
Is this the place for me? I have been diagnosed with als which has taken almost 4 years to diagnose. I am female, 56 yrs old, and have gone from being a caregiver to others to being a person that has no balance, and can't even stand up on my own. I have always done all the lawn work and am not even able to do my dishes now I am so weak. It all seems so useless. I guess I just need someone with the same symptoms to talk to.

Re: loosing my grip

Dear Iris and Duke,

I am 51 yo female, wife and mother of three two still at home ages 11-13. I totally understand where you are comming from. I am not able to do dishes anymore and barely have stamina to make a simple meal. It is hard to let go but I have decided to let others take over. I need all the energy I can keep for enjoying family and friends. We have done a lot for a long time, now we need to let others be blessed by helping care for us. Let your friends help you too. If they ask if they can do something don't say no, tell them what they can do such as dishes, laundry, groceries, dusting, sweeping or just comming to visit. They need to feel like they can help in some way and it takes some of the burden off your husband.

Have a blessed day.

Re: loosing my grip

Hi irisnduke. Yes you've found the right place. We're here for answers and support.

AL.

Just wanted to welcome you! So sorry for your diagnosis. My husband was diagnosed in October, he is 58.

So sorry you're here because of this terrible disease. Please feel free to ask questions, you'll find lots of support. First step is to contact your local ALS Association for info and help. Praying for your family!

Yes Iris;

This is a good place to come and find friends and comfort. You will know that others share your frame of reference and that they are sincere.

I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. Just remember that each day is a gift.

Hi I was diagnosed in Aug. 2010.. in June I was walking and now I can't even stand up. I am purchasing a sit to stand machine, and have learned how to use transfer boards through you-tube.. to transfer from bed to wheelchair. I hired a fulltime house keeper to cook and clean so that I can enjoy my life and focus on therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back