Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
Va
City
Woodbridge
This might sound stupid but do any of you have any tips on sleeping, I get up in the middle of the night go to the bathroom, get back in bed and when I get up to start my day I'm worse than the day before, I just wonder if I'm sleeping wrong or what. Thinking about staying up allnight to see what happens:?:

Couple of questions... are you using a bipap at night? Also, have you talked to your neuro about any medication to help you sleep? Or perhaps it's an anxiety issue, which could also be helped by medication. Lots of possibilities to explore with your doc.

Katie, I'm not on a bipap because my breathing isn't a problem at night, my problems are more of a physicial nature, When I get up in the morning I'm worse that the day before (See my other post for symptoms) just wonder if my sleeping position could be the problem, I'm a side sleeper and I use 2 pillows to raise my head due to acid reflux, which I don't get all the time.

Allan, if you can try to sleep on your back I believe it would be easier on your shoulders. I realize that for various reasons many people can't do the back sleeping. Try it if you haven't recently... Take some Tylenol before bed and see if that doesn't help. Not knowing what is really wrong in your body makes me hesitate to give much advice, in case it's actually bad for you.

If you have trouble breathing with your face straight up, put a little pillow tucked under your cheek next to your face to keep the angle comfortable.

I'm also a side sleeper in the fetal position (always have been). I can't sleep on my back well, because it sometimes leads to choking on saliva. One thing I have found is that tucking a pillow between my knees helps.

What meds are you taking? Is it possible they could be part of the problem? It would be wise to cut out caffeine late in the day, as well.

While I don't have ALS (my hubby does), I had problems waking to use the restroom. I found that if I didn't drink a lot a few hours before bedtime, I can sleep through the night. I got the idea when my daughter was potty training her children.

Allan, when you go to Hopkins, you might ask your doctor there about trying you on amitriptylene. It helps give deepened sleep and also dehyrates. If I drink nothing after about 6:30, I can stay put from about 10 pm until 8 am. I do drink a lot of water in the morning and until about 3 pm., and then try to taper down. The medication helps me not to need to get up during the night. It's a very common side effect. It also is used for nerve pain. I hesitated to mention it due to your set of problems--I wouldn't want you to take anything new since you really aren't sure what is going on with your neck and shoulders, but when you do go to Hopkins, if you can remember, ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back