Not open for further replies.

Ellamay

Country
CA
State
BC
City
Cassidy
my husband Tony lives in a nursing home and became very sick this last week. He was delerious and had extreme anxiety. He was tested and found that he had E coli and bladder infection. Tony is tube feed and takes nothing by mouth anymore. He also has skin sores on his chest , arms , and ear ( from leaning on it all the time). Up to this point he has had no breathing issues but he started wheasing and looks like he is struggling to breath. He refuses the Bi-pap and always wants a fan blowing on his face. What effects will this type of infection have on his health? I am scared for him.

Ellamay, I think you should hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I doubt anyone here can answer your question with precision. The skin sores added to trouble breathing as well as E coli and bladder infection to me sounds like an awful lot for the body to fight. I'm sending you my very best wishes and a hug. This is very hard to watch, I'm sure. He may well pull through the infection, but probably will have weakened from it if he does.
Ann

I am so so sorry Tony has this upsurge of symptoms. I'd have hoped the nursing care would have stepped in before he got those sores! As to the bladder infection and e-coli, it should be quickly relieved by antibiotics./ But as Ann says - and ANn is wise - it is a lot for a body to take all at once.
I send you both love and hope this is quickly dealt with.

Good news.... he seems to be recovering from the infection. He seems to have "come back" to us. The dr. said that it has resulted in further lung collapse. Tony still refusing the Bi-pap but that's nothing new.

Ellamay, I'm so glad for you that he's "coming back". Thanks for sharing your news!
Ann

After talking to the care team ... I deceided it was time to take time off work. It is hard to be supportive to him when i am all worn out from work and this last bout scared everyone we know that he will only get worse the time is now. Canada has a Compassionate Care program which allows me to take off 8 weeks of work and get paid ... 1/2 my wage but at least something.

I think it is wonderful that you are taking the time off to be byy his side. I know it will be a financial hardship but I am sure you will never regret it. My best wishes and prayers for both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back