Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
this has been happening on/off for a while now,more so lately.
i am breathing as normal but get a sudden involintary intake of breath ,it not a quick sharp intake but a kind of shuddering one.
it seems like a auto/reflex thing as i can not stop it.
it just bugs me more than anything as i have never had this before.

do any of you with respitory problems had anything like this?
is it something to be concerned about?

Caroline,
I always have that happen, Never could explain in properly. You explained it spot on. I think it has something to do with the reflexes. I have had this since I first became ill. I can relate totally. Wonder if anyone other than you or I has dealt with this.. Well at least we are in this together buddy... Thanks for explaining it much better than I ever could...lol..

Well, I am going to get in line with you ladies.

I always think I just need more air at that time.

Mention it at your next doctor visit.

Glen

me too. Its not new, don't remember when it started.

OK ... so I am breathing a little hard.
I am standing in line with three definite lookers and I am starting to drool and pant.

OH crap - its the shoulder monkeys again {{not now guys}}

angel on righteous shoulder : {{yes they are attractive, just stand still and smile}}

devil on left shoulder : {{go on, you dog, give each one a sniff}}

*sigh*

Hi, I have to jump in on that one. I had that for months. I Have not noticed it for a month now? What ever that could mean..I thought it was something to do with respiratory ? Linda

I've noticed the same thing as well as huge yawns like I need more air.

thankyou girls and boys..........glen,trust you to do one of your smutty posts. :roll: how does your wife cope? i would have murdered you by now:lol:

h4c, it is a bit tricky to explain and expected no one to know what i was talking about.
we are so alike girlfriend that we could be twins:lol:

at least i am not alone with this even thought i still dont know what it is.
i did some reading and found theres three areas related to breathing in the brain,the brain stem is auto and can quick start the body to breathe if other areas fail.
also a load of stuff about neurons.

it seems to happen more when i am sat leaning back on the sofa or in bed.
it does not feel like a brain issue as per say,more a diaphram problem maybe.

oh well just another symptom to add to all the rest.
i was boasting to someone how well i have done over the years with pls ,but i think i was blowing the trumpet.
i have had more problems this past year after hitting the 10yr mark.
still i know i am very very lucky when i think of others on the forum.

thanks everyone:D

thankyou girls and boys..........glen,trust you to do one of your smutty posts. :roll: how does your wife cope? i would have murdered you by now:lol:
:D

There is sanity behind my insanity. So you are laughing, ever try to do something physical while you are laughing?

Then again ... Why do women always laugh when they say sorry?

How many of us did the big breath last night and thought of Caroline ? I did ( and it was not smutty)

Caroline,

I remember before my first sleep study, that I expected CNS apnea to be found, because of this drawing a breath thing during waking hours, but most often right when I start to fall asleep. That study was quite a while ago, about a year and a half, and the involuntary breath thing was not new to me then. They did not see any instance of CNS apnea while I was asleep though, just obstructive. That does not mean its not caused by the CNS, but, I thought I'd toss this in...

Also, with me, its not deep as much as quick.

Caroline, I do this also, sometimes. Not every day. And, like Rose, have done it just as I'm falling asleep many times. I think this has been normal for me all of my life.
Ann

I very definitely have this, and have been wondering about it. It only started a few weeks ago. I get it usually at night, when my breathing has become a little difficult. It's totally involuntary, just suddenly happens, a little like a yawn but much more involuntary. It zips up through my chest from my diaphragm with a small shudder. Weird.
Joan

glen,i had to laugh at your last post but..........it was a involintary reflex laugh as i did not understand what you were talking about.

rose,its not a sleep thing that i am aware of as it only happens when i am wide awake.
i suppose really i could do with a sleep study as i need to sleep with many pillows.
i hate tests so it takes me along time to get round to having them done,i wait till i am desperate.

joan,it is just like you said..........my chest/diaphram shudders.

thanks for the input:grin:

I have had it happening for two years and it hasn't developed into anything crazy yet. I just labelled it a diaphagm spasm.

It sounds like this is common, which is good to know because I have it happen a few times a day and like Beky just assume it is spasms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back