Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
C'dale
I realize that everyone has a different progression and what not, but I just wondered if anyone could help. My mom has had ALS for ten years now, and while she's been "stable", as stable as one can be when one's health is constantly deteriorating, the progression has always been slow. Recently, last Sunday it got very hard for her to work her left side and speak, though she had always been able to speak and up until then still carry on lengthy conversations/debates with me. So now things have drastically changed for me in a couple of days. Speech is very limited and mobility all but gone, and while eating/drinking were hard and time consuming she retained a lot of independence in drinking from a straw and even working out a system of taking pills, she now is almost entirely dependent on me, my dad and sister for everything. Last year around this time her left eye did odd things, lost some sight, but eventually it all cleared up. Finally, I arrive at the actual question portion of this question, I hope someone has stuck around, does this sound odd? Is there anyone that had a slow progressing case that had a big crash of some kind? Could this be a stroke? Does ALS increase risk of stroke? I didn't find anything on the internet to back this up. Is there a case where things like this ever get any better, like the way that weird eye thing did? And the worst part but most important to ask, what should I expect to come?

ALS does not bounce back. Now ten years is impressive from my point of view.
I have never heard of "a couple of days" progression.
Has she been to see her neuro lately? If not, maybe its time.

Jack, my dad has ALS and a few months back he experienced a sudden change in his speech. he would be talking and then be unable to speak or the words were coming out all garbled. Then within a 5-10 min time frame he would be alright speech wise again. This lasted for about 5 days,then cleared. While now his speech is detoriating due to the ALS, it is a steady progression, not sudden. Dad's doctors thought that the sudden speech changes may of been related to a TIA( mini stroke) so it would be worthwhile to have your momn seen by her doctors. What I have learned abouALS is that the changes happen steadily not necessiary suddenly. Take care
Susan

My speech varied to until I reached a certain point, and it was worse when I was uptight.

I have to agree with what the others have said. When my grandmother had Alzheimer's disease, and prior to her official diagnosed I took classes on dementia and it covered the "mini strokes" that people can have. (TIA's) I would defiantly get that checked out hun.
Oh and Phil, my dad found that a good martini helped his speech when he gets uptight!
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back