Reason
Other
Country
US
State
IN
City
Evansville
I have started having excessive saliva and drooling at night with other sypmtoms. I can still eat and talk okay, but when does this excessive saliva start in the progression of things. Shouldn't I be having trouble with eating and talking if I am having excessive saliva? I also have tongue movement on and off during the day.

Thanks,

holly:?:

Oh Holly, things happen at different times and in different ways.. So sorry to tell you that... I just got a script from my nero for glycopyrrolate..I can take one in the morning and one at night. I don't take it at night because I get so dry from the bipap... Maybe that can help? Linda

The problem is usually not excess saliva but rather a slowing of the swallowing process due to muscle atrophy resulting in the saliva not being swallowed which used to happen automatically without thinking. Different meds can be prescribed to dry things up. Some have used botox injections as well to help.

AL.

Thank you both for answering so quickly. Once you start with tongue twitches are they always 24/7 or come and go during the day? I started with twitching about 9 months ago in hands, thumb, thigh, and calf muscles; that has all stopped and I only now have twitching in my left butt and in my tongue, which I thought very unususal. I have not been diagnosed yet and the neuro surgeon that I went to for something else told me he could not say I had ALS or not and to see what happens in 6 months, which would be in mid June.

I take GLYCOPYRROLATE 3 pills of 2 mg every morning but I still drool a lot.
Has anybody taken NAC Sustain to decrease exsessive saliva?

I too take GLYCOPYRROLATE 3 pills of 2 mg every morning but I still drool a lot.
I tried taking 3 pills 3 times per day. I think the results are better if 3 pills in the morning.
My hospice recommends 2 drops of Atropine Sulfate under tongue every 2 hours to decrease saliva. I have mixed results - sometime it helps.

Mom has done the botox and it has helped her a great deal.

Hi Holly,
I can't help you with Excessive Saliva, but I do want to thank you for this post.
I have had same problem.
God Bless,
Wayne

If you can, try to sleep with your mouth open. That helps a lot too. I sleep elevated, so my mouth drops open.

Hi,

I started having left left weakness at the beginning of july ..... I also started having problems with twitching and stiffness on my left arm begininning july also ..... i had an emg done about 4 weeks after the beginning of these symptoms and the EMG came back normal ..... i just saw my neurologist a few days ago and he said my left side was not weaker than my right and his whole exam was normal ..... a few weeks ago i started to develop excess salivation .....

how long into symptoms does it take for EMG to pick up ALS?

exess salivation............. you can search the archives we went thru that and contunue to do everyday, night it is what triggers the couphing so look up that too. scopolamine, patches seem to help the sucktion didnt work for Robert, they also use a motion sickness( atropine ) drops under the tongue.

let me know if you want a breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back