Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Southbury
My husband ("beanjt" screen name on this forum) has a constant bad taste in his mouth. It started almost two years ago, just before he noticed his first signs of neck weakness.

It is difficult to describe the taste -- not really metallic, more sour-like, though. He has tried many remedies (listerine strips, sucking mints, brushing with baking soda & apple vinegar), but the taste never goes away. In addition, we have seen ENT & GI physicians -- all dismissed this symptom and offered no insight or suggestion.

So, my questions for forum members are:

1). Has anyone else experienced this type of bad taste? Any suggestions on remedies?

2). Since the bad taste in his mouth preceded his first bulbar symptoms, we believe they may somehow be related. Any thoughts on this?

What kind of meds is your husband on? My son complained of a bad taste right after he started on baclofen & was going thru mouthwash like crazy.

My husband experienced the bad taste/no taste thing and it was finally decided that he had thrush. After months of Nystatin treatment and then natural remedies, his GP wrote him a prescription for Fluconazole. That seemed to solve the problem.

Yep, it's thrush. I've had a couple of bouts with it. Doesn't go away without meds.

Perry

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Very much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back