Reason
Other
Country
US
State
mi
City
farm hls
I'm just throwing this out there to see everyone's opinions - What are everyone's thoughts on the Health care system in the US, if we start to have changes towards a public health care plan for everyone?
So many of my friends are already complaining about the changes he wants in mammogram and pap smear coverage (as we are all under 30 and this would affect us), but as far as PALS , and even people that aren't diagnosed and need further testing, how would everything be affected?

Who knows? I can not make sense of what is being said or printed or reported! Do we need health care reform ABSOLUTELY! Oh, I can feel a tangent wanting to erupt so I will just stop. Someone just cut my fingers off! I can tell you that our current health care system has failed us miserably as a family.

One difference I have read is that insurance companies could no longer refuse to cover you for pre-existing conditions. Even for people undiagnosed, this could be significant as usually it counts as pre-existing if you have even seen a doctor for a condition that is later diagnosed as something serious. One thing I am not clear about though is whether they can charge higher premiums for people with serious conditions - I think that is capped and can't go too high. Of course PALS can get Medicare so maybe this won't matter that much.

I am worried about my wife, how she will get coverage when I stop working. I can get Medicare but that won't help her. We are in our 50s so it will be 10 years before she is eligible. She will have to buy individual insurance and although her health is not too bad, it is not perfect and those rates can be very high. I think the premiums will come down under the new proposals, so this could help our situation. Or there may be this "public option" and she might qualify for that.

Overall I can't say whether the changes will be good for the country but I think they will be good for my family.

pals that have stayed home "working" for the last ten years can't get medicare .....it's 80/20 for us all the way with a $2400 deductible.....thought i would go back to work when my son went to school full day this year....oh well,

you are right, i stayed home and now i dont qualify for medicare, cus i havent work in 20yrs

Hal, that is something both sides agree upon. But I do not think that goes into effect until 2014, Healthcare reform, is not what I want that is for sure, but that is another story. I think stay at home parent's should be eligible for benefits, with ALS.. A great unjustice, but that is how are system works.. Why take care of those who give to family and home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back