Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Mesquite
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find photos of tongue atrophy. I have teeth indentions all around my tongue. I was wondering why that happens and was wanting to see tongue atrophy to see if I have it.
Thanks

Just google it in google images. There are a few. I can't speak from experience, but I have often heard it repeated here that the scalloped teeth marks around the edge of your tongue are normal.

Lydia

Hi, Jellyfish ... I have also heard that toothmarks on the edges of the tongue are fairly common ... and normal. It can be from dehydration, mouth breathing, smoking, or nervous habits like pressing your tongue against your teeth unconsciously. The way some people grind their teeth in their sleep.

My tongue has strophied (no pictures, sorry), and there are no tooth indents on the edges. It is shriveled away from my teeth, has a very rough, gutted surface, and has narrowed in the front, like a slice of pie. (Aren't you sorry you asked? :lol:)

Didn't Rose have some tongue pics a while back?

AL.

Thanks Beth. Great description! I have all sorts if issues. Speach problems, too weak to walk around the grocery store. Twitches all over. Shakey movement. Specially upon wakening. I can't make my finger go to the alarm button sometimes. They are thinking maybe Myasthenia Gravis or ALS. (I do get much better after a 15 minute rest). I have had a lot of tests, all normal except the positive ANA for autoimmune disease and something the nuero said showed muscle involvement.? bUT, being the big chicken that I am, I'm scared to get the EMG!
So she started me on Mestinon to see what happens. It's been 3 days of small doses, working up to a larger dose today. It seems easier to lift my chest to breathe but I'm not really sure if it's not just wishful thinking :)
Neuro said she saw atrophy in my hands. So I just wondered what it looked like. She didn't look at my tongue but it seems slim and more pointy on the end. Thanks for being here you guys!
It trurly helps!

Jellyfish ... MG is very hard to diagnosed, and a certain percentage are diagnosed on the basis of clinical symptoms only. They're "sero-negative" ... i.e., no identifiable antibodies show up in blood tests. So stay positive!

Hope the mestinon works!

Been doing the mestinon for 4 days and I'm taking small doses. 30mg twice a day and today was 30 mg 3 times a day. Then I do this for a week and go back to the nuero to find out the results of my thymoma scan. So far I'm really tired but I walk normal steps instead of baby steps. The tops of my legs still feel like I've run a hundred miles, but I haven't used them much in the last 8 months so I'm sure they are shocked at all the new work I am asking them to do, like going to dog obedience class and standing for an hour, but at least my dog won "Most Scary" at the doggie costume party!
I can't do obedience class any more and usually I sit or take my power chair. But I stood and mingled for awhile hour. Today my throat is tight and feels like there is a lump in there. I get that feeling a lot after I walk or bend over a lot. I still can't tell if the medicine is really working and from what I've read, I'm taking a tiny dose. Still hoping though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back