Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Ont
City
toronto
my mom's mom had pbp at 71 & my mom 56 her pbp started in november after an amalgam filling in her already metal tooth covers that she had from the 70's. after my mom got diagnosed a few months ago i've been having twitches in thigh, shoulder [but i would always hit them and they would go away] my tongue twitches a bit also. im 22 and we lived in a basement of a bungalow from the 1950's , 1960's the was some mold in the bathroom, could those spores cause pbp/als

i live with my dad right now. he's been complaining for 2 weeks of pain in his throat and it hurts when swallowing too could it because we spent too many hours with my mom now in paliative care and her not being able to/no wanting to clean the inside of her mouth with mouth wash using those sponges [she stopped using paste couple months ago and just brushed only with h2o] and her saliva that she drools in tissues smells a lot maybe we got from her saliva or something from the hospital

No links from mold or metal fillings have been proven. Your twitches could be from many things, even stress from worrying about your mother. Unless you have other symptoms I wouldn't worry. Your age is a plus also.

AL.

Absolutely not contagious. Sounds like you just caught a bug. You need to settle down. Your mom is going to need you. Don't be freaking out about every little thing.

AL.

i had post 3 different posts because im using my psp to surf. my question if it is contagious or not is because i see people's profiles saying a parent had als in 05 and then i see on the do i have als forums with symptoms devasted did anyone move when they or a family member got als maybe it was because of the environment? thanks for reading all the best

No it's not contagious. You can't catch it from someone but in 5 to 10% of the cases it can be passed in the genes. There are tests to see if you have the SOD1 gene. Even if you have the gene it doesn't mean for sure you'll get it.

AL.

thanks you're probably right it could stress i am trying to stay as calm & positive as i can my is really strong and showing fear about the results of not wanting a tube but with my dad also complaining about pain it started my worry once again

Try to relax. Have you got someone to talk with other than dad? ALS Ont. has support groups that might help. ALS Society of Ontario

AL.

thank you again i do not want to have a nervous break because it could damage my nerves and lead to als i will try to relax it was just conspiracy style thoughts of the gov't not admitting it's contagious when more & more ppl have it and they spray chemtrails yeah okay i will stop have a great night al keep up the great work and effort

Scootermax,

We have seen a lot of people with a whole bunch of twitching stories but I do believe your's is the first account of someone admitting they "hit" their twitches and "they went away".

One question I have is, How hard did you have to "hit" them in order for them to go away?

I ask this because with your success in hitting the twitches and them going away, this is something we can pass on to many of those who suffer from the same malady.

One more question: In the act of hitting your twitches, did you ever encounter any pain?

The reason I ask is that we could forewarn anyone we recommend your solution to.

Zaphoon

Last edited:
Now now...play nice :razz:....

awww, never mind. Go for it.

I hope I am not on the wrong track here but I wanted to mention the part of taking care of your mom giving you a nervous breakdown. You really need to contribute time for yourself not quite time but away to shop or do something that you enjoy. I know it will be hard to do, but it is very important to do something for yourself. The reason I say that is because I did have a nervous breakdown. The doctor said it was slight but what nervous breakdown is slight. It wasn't the part of caring for her , it was the part of loosing her. So please let me give you some advice. My mother lost her mother in 2001 and she left us then . She was a zombie all she could think about was loosing her mom. She was diagnoised a year later with ALS after she lost her mom and then I lost her in 2004. It was like a domino affect because when I lost her I almost lost my mind. If I had to do over I would do it different and make sure I took care of myself for me and my family. Thank you for letting me give you a reply hugs to you. Your not cheating your mom if you laugh I promise .
Oh and talking about the metal in your mouth.. When I was in Charlotte NC at the ALS clinic with mother. The warned me to get the metal out of my mouth asap, so I don't know if that contributes but it would seem like it isn't good for you. They also told us it could come from extreme stress or chemicals used in the yard. My mother worked in the yard all the time. I wish we all could find out what is causing ALS ,etc.

Ok guys let's not lose sight of the original intent of the thread. I think these were legitimate questions by someone freaking out about the whole ALS thing. Obviously they know very little about it. We're here to educate.

AL.

Scootermax,

ALS is not contagious. There is a type that might run in families, but there is a test you can get to rule this type of gene out. I'm sorry you are having to go through this, and can understand a fear about maybe your dad or even you getting certain symptoms that are like ALS. I had to calm my PALS son down about the same thing. He was really freaked out, because he had facial paralysis, because he got Lyme disease! Tell you what...your mind does some seriously weird things sometimes when you're under such stress and the world as you know it is crumbling around you. If you can, try to go with your mom to one of her ALS doctor appointments. Ask all the questions you want, and then get hooked up with others who also are going through this. The people at her doctors office can get you that info. It's hard, and we all have tried at one time or another to think what in the world happened for our loved ones to get this disease! So far, no one has come up with the answer. Lots of studies are happening though, so we all can pray that it gets figured out soon. Hang in there, and give your mom a hug, okay?

Pam

I've been hitting my twitches all morning and I've gotten the things all mad at me now. It doesn't work for me and now my legs are hurting from more than just the cramps that go on continually.

I cannot recommend this "hitting" therapy to any one as it has not worked for me. I'm off to soak in epsom salt.

Zaphoon

PS
My questions to scooter were sincere. No harm intended but maybe I was hitting too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back