Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New york
City
New york
Hi,
first off would like to thank u guys in advance.

I noticed atrophy in My lower bicep. My orthopedic did a MRI of My neck shoulder and bicep. Stated I have a bunch of issues but nothing that stands out as a cause.

My strength appears normal as it was tested by My PT. My reflexes in the arm are normal as well. The Atrophy looks like some one took a scoop out of the side of My arm. It is way more pronounced when the muscle is flexed.

My reason for coming here is because I did a search while waiting to get into My Neurologist and realized atrophy and muscle twitches could be ALS. I have twitches all over the place especially under My ribs by the liver area. They bounce all over but not in the bicep that is affected. I also have alot of muscle soreness all over.

Here is My question, I had a car accident last year and had a EMG of my arms and neck 10 months ago it was normal except for pinched nerve in neck. I have numerous herniated discs from C4 to c7. Would the EMG be positive before noticeable symptoms? Also would there be weakness before the atrophy? as I thought in order to have atrophy u would need weakness?.

My Ortho and PT appear a little stumped. My GP did a CK level which was normal. I have read that an elevated level is a possible "red flag" . My GP mentioned "Brachial Plexus" but again weakness is not there, At least not yet.

I noticed the condition approximately (5) weeks ago. I had a lot of pain in the bicep when fully extending it for a couple of months then the pain stopped and I noticed the atrophy. MRI of the bicep shows tendinitis but again no explanation for whats happening.

I know u guys are not Dr's, but your input would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds very non-ALS to me.

To answer your questions: Yes, an EMG would show signs of ALS long before you saw any symptoms manifest themselves. First, ALS destroys nerves in the brain. Second, the damaged nerves can't tell the muscles to 'go' or to contract. So the muscles exhibit profound and permanent "weakness." So, you see, the EMG would pick up the damaged nerves first. Then, later, you would notice the muscles don't work anymore.

Next: you're right to say weakness first, then atrophy. In ALS, the atrophy comes from a muscle that has lain useless and paralyzed for some very long time--months. Paralysis first, then atrophy.

Third: Pain. Pain? No. Typically, the new onset of ALS would not have any pain whatsoever--the muscle just doesn't go. There's no pain, exhaustion, numbness, or funny feeling.

I see no reason in the world for anyone to think of ALS as any possibility in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back