Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Cheshire
City
Knutsford
Male, aged 39.

It all started three months with twitching. The twitching since then has stayed the same. In all muscle groups, just a few here and there all the time.

By month two I started getting cramps, mostly biceps and hamstrings, not full blown cramps but pre cramp feeling. Also in hands and forearms. Along with odd nerve pains in arms and hands. Found taking a sleeping tablet reduced the twitches a fair bit.

Went to see a Neuro who did an emg after month one and all ok. So I assumed that was that. Then I started getting very fatigued all the time and just wanted to lie down all day and started getting clumsiness and weakness in my left arm/hand. Now feels heavy to just hold my arm up for a long time and strength is down 20% in that hand. So saw a second neuro who said 99.9% not mnd but did another emg. That came back as benign facics but does show denervation in right tricep (c7) and also in left arm - carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve. Not sure why the first emg didn't show that? The second one was more thorough.

I go to the gym four times a week and was 245lb, able to press 400lb and in three months now I'm 230lb and have noticed some strength loss in my left arm this past week. Been referred to have a cervical spine mri as the Neuro feels this may explain the denervation. I've weight trained for 23 years so hoping my neck is the issue.

If it doesn't show anything, what else explains the denervation and strength loss and do my symptoms sound worrying? I'm convinced unless my left arm improves (if it is a disc issue) then I'm going downhill as my arm is getting worse not better.

Moo, early days to think of ALS. As your neuro says, a neck issue (and possibly a separate wrist issue) is much more likely.

Pending the MRI, I wouldn't lift anything heavy.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back