Country
US
State
NJ
City
Old bridge
Hello all,
My name is Ashley I'm a 27 y/o nurse.
I posted my concerns in 10/2016. I had had a normal emg as per my neuro with some polyphasic potentials on my right side. I had a new emg done in 7/2017 which my neuro stated was still normal and those same polyphasic potentials on my right side were still there but no concerning change to him. Although my right calf/knee has looked smaller and less muscular than the left since this all started.

The last couple weeks I have felt my right side get much more tired much easier than my left and get tight if I do too much walking or work with my right arm, especially writing or carrying things. My muscles in my right knee/calf and right arm (especially shoulder area) burn at the simplest of tasks as if I have been lifting weights.

When I swallow it feels like there's a lump of phlegm I can't clear and my soft palate looks much lower than it used to, as in you can barely see my tonsils unless I stretch out my tongue or depress it. This has made me make an almost snorelike sound if I'm not sitting with my neck straight which was never the case before. I've also noticed when I swallow sometimes I feel like liquids get very close to going up my nose.

I've taken a lot of control of my health anxiety and was taking meds but I can't ignore that these symptoms seem to have gotten worse. I am now 33 weeks pregnant and haven't been taking the meds since I was 9 weeks but I have been much more calm and distracted.

My seemingly lower, weaker palate is the most concerning.

Hoping that someone here has input on my symptoms as I have not been to the neuro since July and he seemed to still be convinced I was fine then but it has been quite sometime since then.

You're seriously bringing your health anxiety back to the forum after you were given answers to you neuroses over a year ago?! Please do not, especially during Christmas time when the kind PALS and CALS of this site have enough to deal with.

You don't have ALS, although it's becoming clear that you're bound and determined to get that diagnosis. You won't, though, no matter how badly you would like to.

Please seek the help of a counceller to try CBT to try to aid you in your health anxiety.

Allow me to clarify things for you. The people on this site who have been diagnosed as having ALS have been through a year if not several years of consistently abnormal EMGs. As well as abnormal clinical tests. This in no way is something that you can self diagnose. ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion, they have to rule out anything else it could be. The other thing to keep in mind is ALS does not FEEL like anything. I FEEL fine, I just have muscles that don't contract. I can concentrate, I can just reach out reflexively, the muscle does not contract. I FEEL like it should, but the contraction is not there. You really need to move on with this. People are actually dying from this disease, some are typing answers with their eyes and really do not have time to massage neuroses. This may sound harsh but find something else to to keep yourself busy with. You do not need to be here.

Vincent

Last edited:
For a few, it became apparent so rapidly that Dx took only a few months. Your little trip over here with health anxiety related issues feels to some of us like a drive by visit from the blessed - those with no signs of ALS- to the damned- those dealing with the reality of this every single day.

ALS is in every aspect of our lives, but lucky you it’s not in yours.

Hello Ashley, you want input on your symptoms, you have no symptoms of ALS, you are in the wrong place. You will not take the the findings of a professional
your neurologist so why do you ask us laymen to diagnose one of the most complicated diseases on earth. Nothing you say or do makes any sense at all, and you will not listen to a professional so all I can say is go away and bother someone else. There is nothing we can do to help you.
Al

Last edited:
Mod Note

I believe this has run its course. Closing thread.

Good luck, Ashley. Get that Health Anxiety looked at!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back