Going to see a doctor soon, but I was hoping someone could answer a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyGG

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Sudbury
Hey everyone!

I think I may have ALS, but I'm not really sure. Here's a bit of my medical history:

SWIM was into psychedelics for a while, doing things like LSD, MDMA, Mushrooms, and Weed. I still smoke weed in wax form daily, although I plan on stopping tonight.

About ten months ago I saw a chiro after hurting my back doing squats. She did some ultrasound stuff on my left side, and that was that. Felt worse after, so I saw a walk in doctor (I live in Canada), and he prescribed some muscle relaxants and painkillers, one of which acted as a blood thinner.

I started getting tremors from the medicine, so I stopped. Two weeks later I smoked a bit of weed and had a mini-stroke. I didn't know what it was at the time, but when I got home from my friends place I noticed my left side drooping, so I called 911. They couldn't do anything, but they did an MRI or CAT (I don't remember which), and nothing turned up.

About a month ago I hurt my back again squatting 315 lbs, and I went into rehab to see a physiotherapist. He told me my left back was way smaller than my right, which surprised me! Since then I started noticing that my left side is actually much smaller than my left, and seems to be getting smaller each week.

I'm kind of worried. Has anyone had symptoms similar to mine? Is this ALS?

Thank you ahead of time!

Bunny, if you were losing muscle every week, that would be a fast track for any disease. Sorry to hear about your mini-stroke but heavy lifting usually isn't the recommended therapy, esp. if you are doing stuff that jacks your BP up and down (a very common cause of strokes and other bad things). See an internist who can work w/ your physio on a routine toward improved health overall, and you will have many fewer things to worry about.

Best,
Laurie

Hi! I'm not losing significant muscle, but there has been some muscle loss over the past month. Is this a symptom of ALS?

Not in this case. Sure, 'atrophy' is listed in the symptoms for this and many other conditions, but given what you've written, there's no reason at all to think anything about ALS.

ALS paralyzes muscles so they lay limp and useless. Given your level and type of regular activity, you'd know that instantly.

Okay, thank you for the information Atsugi. I'm thinking it might have to do with my spinal injury then. I think what's happening is it's compressing one side of my CNS which leads to reduced muscle connection to my left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back