Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
I thought it started a few months ago when I progressively found my speech becoming slurred to the point it's hard to make certain sounds and swallow. Had excessive saliva issues. I had progressive weakness happening in my right arm, though it's unclear if that was a result of nerve damage from an injury. Lost a ton of strength but can still do pretty basic things with that hand.

Panic got to me, went to an urgent care clinic where they suggested I get checked whether I had a minor stroke. Everything seemed healthy though, and finally got an initial consultation / exam by a neurologist. He noticed muscle twitches, which I've had all my life but has increased recently. Hyperactive reflexes are there. He said the MRI showed nothing conclusive, but showed some unusual activity. So I have to get my primary doctor to give a referral to another neurologist for an EMG. He noted that my walk seems weaker than it should be and that whatever it may be is progressing. But he definitely has possible ALS on a list of what it could be. He noted it could be something benign and treatable.

Going through the process and red tape with insurance. Anxiety is high and I know will make things worse. So I guess a big part of me posting is hoping to alleviate a bit of it by getting this out and owning that this is what my body is going through now.

Hi, Avarice, sorry you find yourself here and hope your final dx is more treatable. Are you trying to get referred to UCSD?

Feel free to post here any time as you go through the process, and let us know if/how we can help. Anxiety is only natural, and you can own that, too.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Ultimately, if it does go in that direction, I'd like to get a referral to UCSD. Next step at this point for me is getting a primary care doctor to refer me to a neurologist who can do an EMG, and can work with Medi-Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back