Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Or
City
Salem
Finally went to the doctor today for a physical and talk about my symptoms.

Over the past month a twitch that started out in my eye have expanded to many random twitches throughout the body. A few constant places where they occure are in my calves, they appear to get a little less intense when I can manage to calm myself a bit, but for the most part are usually there, same spot, and the random ones from arm to thigh, finger, etc.

She did say that I had severe anxiety and didn't want to attirbute the twitches to the anxiety also said I had bilateral hyperreflexia and referred me to a neuro for EMG. Now with the neuro appt. really has be in shambles and my twitches are showing it. No physical weakness that I can tell or that she could see ... Will be weeks before I get in ... should I be as scared as I actually am? All my signs I THINK ??? Point to BFS ... but DR made no reference to it.

No, Dally. Please try to relax. You didn't show any reason to worry about ALS.

Twitching is common to many conditions. It is very common in anxiety.
The kind of twitching you describe is not ALS twitching.

Hyperreflexia: I have been told that some perfectly healthy people have that. It doesn't mean ALS.

Weakness would be more important, and you don't have that.

You should not be worried about ALS at all.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to respond Mike, your comments make me feel better. I wasn't aware of the hyperflexia being a symptom of ALS so it threw me for an unwanted loop and added to the top of my anxiety.

Does the fact that my twitches seem to get much worse when I stress about them or if I poke or tap the muscle and see even more twitches appear mean anything? Also the twitches in my calves are consistently in the same spot ... Along with the other random twitches that occur in my arms feet butt etc l.

Still seeing no need for worry.
When is your EMG scheduled?

Hyperreflexia can be "created" by anxiety as well, and twitching that intensifies under scrutiny supports that also. Agree, ALS is not on the table for you -- rejoice!

Best,
Laurie

Thank you very much for the responses, i'm almost embarrassed to take up your time, but thank you. I don't have an EMG scheduled yet, they will be calling to make an appointment for a consultation first to see if necessary. I think I mispoke earlier on my Hyperflexia ... it is symetrical hyperflexia ..not bilatteral .. not sure if that makes a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back