Reason
Other
Country
GR
State
VA
City
ath
Ok.. I said I would not post there unless I have medical confirmation of my state. However, this is driving me crazy and completely took over me. I cannot do anything except for crying all the time.
I started feeling very weird feelings in my right leg since New Year. First of all, it felt like the skin was insensible, like you could touch it and it would felt like not my skin. But later on it felt very numb (like not my feet) and, of course, twitching started. Actually, I am not very sure if I could call that twitching because I can never see or feel with fingers anything under the skin, I just feel like tiny tingling almost in the same area every day. It doesn't help if I move my leg, it is there, this tingling and would not go away. Also, I don'r know if it is tingling ( I am not an English speaker), it's like something is doing something in my muscles, some buzzing. Maybe it's already fibrillations (I am not sure if I can feel that). Then also, sometimes it feels like someone would sqeeze my leg firmly and this feeling lasts (maybe these are cramps? but surely not the cramps I used to exprience at nights, regularly from my adolescence). I started to worry about losing my strength, so regularly I walk in the room on my toes and then on my heals. So far it seems that I have not lost any strenght, but sometimes my musculs are so sore eve though I do not do any of the exercises. For me it seems that I can see some atrophy in this leg. I am just going crazy. And I know very well that I have never felt like that before. ALS was not an unfamiliar subject to me, but while it sarted with different sensations (it seemed that my leg was very cold sometimes, I would describe this feeling as when you chew mynthons in your mouth), I was not worried. My husband had a possible ALS diagnosis 4 and a half years ago. He underwent a lot of examination, all dismissing other possible diagnosis, but his EMG was clear. So he was told life would show. He was 32 then (i am now 35 yrs. old). Since then I was all into ALS, read a lot of stuff. But I never experienced any of this weird feelings that I do now. I even didn't have twitches. My husband didn't get better, actually he got worse, but he functionates, one or the other ways, but he says he would not go to the doctors anymore because it's better not to know the terrible diagnosis. And there I come... with all the same stuff. I would really like to think we are both hypochnodriacs, but I just can't explain those symptoms and am very scared of the future. Even though I know that some neurological disorders do not have an explanation.
Not for you to think that I am crazy, of course, I went to the neurologist and told him about my worries about ALS. He even didn't look at my leg, he said he didn;t need it. He tested the reflexes and then I jumped on one leg and then the other, he said that maybe my right leg (the weird one) is heavier. So far he didn't have anything to tell me, but because I was crying all the time, he suggested me I should take antidepressants.
It's been more than a week after the visit and I wonder if I should schedule another appointment with a different neurologist. The fact is that we are living away from home, in a different country, and I have an issue that maybe doctors are not very professional here. Even though I have a super insurance and visit only private clinics. Another symptom which I started to feel after the visit to the neurologist is the shortage of breath. But it is not that I could not inhale or exhale. Again, it seems like someone is strangling me (my neck) all the time. I wonder if I have a limb onset, would it be so fast that I have breathing issues.
My husband tells me just live with it and see what future brings.
But I just can't. I have 3 little kids and everything. It is so scary.

Hi Prime,
If you read the sticky at the top of this forum you will notice that ALS does't feel like anything. No pain, no tingling,no numbness. Being a disease of the motor neurons, there is no sensory involvement. The nerves that control movement die and the muscles are paralized. You are left with only sense of touch. So I feel confident in saying you do not have ALS.
Vincent

Vincent, thank you for your reply.
Of course, I read the sticky. I visit this forum once in a while since 2011 (since my husband was tested against ALS)
At the beginning I was pretty sure it was something else, maybe anxiety.
But now I can't get it out of my mind, especially when it seems to me I see the atrophy of the leg. When I stand on my heels, and the muscles become seen, the hole in the "bad" leg is much bigger. I wonder if the atrophy precedes weakness

Prime, there are other diseases that can cause your symptoms. I have peripheral neuropathy, and I feel much of what you describe. My sister has another neurological disease and the muscles in one leg have atrophied to the point that it is MUCH smaller than the other. My point is, please do see another neurologist and give him/her your symptoms, but don't bring up ALS. Let the doctors do their job. If you go in sobbing and talking about ALS, they may tell you again to deal with stress rather than exploring your condition. And yes, stress can cause all sorts of problems, to include breathing issues. Please, don't diagnose yourself and don't distract your doctors by telling them what to look for. Let them respond to your symptoms.

Becky

Thank you so much, Becky,
I will try to get an appointment to a GP, maybe first of all (because I went to neuro right away). And the breathing got that bad, my friend gave me the idea to go and check the thyroid. The thing is I was always the strongest in our family - could work days and nights, never coplained. And now I am the only one who provides support for the family and am totally falling apart.
It's true I have gone under a lot of stress recently, but it's so weird to have a weird leg with all the tense muscles etc
I was considering starting yoga just to get some peace of mind. But what scares me - what if I see that I cannot exercise anymore.
Anyway, thank you all very much for your care and advise. I really appreciate that.

Most of your symptoms sound like depression-related anxiety to me. If I were you I would go to my GP.
Nothing you posted resembles ALS.

Prime, thanks for posting all those details. I understand why the neurologist wasn't concerned about ALS. I'm not either.

After reading all the details you wrote, I don't see any reason whatsoever to think of ALS. In fact, I'm really sure you don't have any fatal disease at all. But I shouldn't say that because I'm not a doctor.

A neurologist was the wrong doctor to see. They only look at neurological things. The kind of doctor who is trained and experienced in leading health investigations is a GP medical doctor. Let the GP decide which specialty to go to.

Time to stop crying now. You're not going to leave your family alone. You're going to be fine. Just let your GP take care of this.

Thank you everyone for contributions. I do really appreciate every response.
Even though it seemed to me that my symptoms got worse during the last days, I waited patiently for doctors appointments.
First of all I visited GP and the doctor suggested I visited another neurologist.
Today I was to see the neurologist.
She examined me very thouroughly. I had written all my symptoms and concerns point by point so that I did not forget to ask anything. I also showed the leg in which I see (or imagine) the atrophy. She agreed that the leg is different (at least the structure of the muscle), she tested my strenght, and just like the last doctor had said it seemed to her that my "bad" leg seemed stronger. Then I revelad my fears about ALS and how I feel... Actually she believes there is nothing wrong with me neurologically at all, but my mind plays bad tricks on me. So I will go on with antidepressants and see if it helps with anxiety. i asked for EMG but she said she saw no point in doing that. So I guess thuis time I have to believe my doctor.
I will see her in a month, she will test my strenght and everything.
So sorry to bother you, but that was a good place to talk myself out. Because nobody would understand... Thank you guys again, be blessed

Well, that's good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back