Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
wa
City
seattle
hello all.

Not sure what to make of what is going on here. first twitching started in my calves and spread all over my body in a matter of days didn't think anything of it but went into the doctor to have it checked out went through several blood tests including lime and vitamin levels and others even a CT scan requested by my GP all checked fine. Gp said it could be anxiety but It came at a time in my life when everything was going great......in fact my life has always been great. regardless he is the doctor took his advice and went on my way.(no worries)

then the twitching got worse and with a onset of new symptoms strange grabbing like spasms in my muscles like a cramp with no pain almost always on right forearm right hand thumb or around my right knee and still twitching all over head to toe right and left sides. No big deal still not worried. then came this buzzing like a vibrating feeling in my feet every once in a while that started to worry me a bit and I did some research. thankfully I found your forum and read the stickies that made me feel a lot better.

then I noticed that the high end of my voice started to get a little hard to use and over the last 3 weeks has become none existent in certain ranges I cant sing in the shower witch I love to do and I noticed that when I put our cat out and went to say here kity kity kity in my usual voice I couldn't do it. My squeaky cat calling voice was not working. . NOT COOL!

I guess I'm just wondering if I should even worry about this stuff? probably not but thought I would ask you guys. by the way I am 33yrs old male in great shape a delivery guy and a happily married (13yrs) father of 4 no history of any illnesses.

you guys are great. I promise I wont be a pest and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Have you returned to your doctor with your concerns? I would start with your pcp and go to a neuro if things progress. Having said that, make sure you are eating well, not dehydrated, and getting enough sleep. No sleep and caffeine make me twitch everywhere....so does the dehydration...

Thanks for describing what is happening with you well, and for reading the stickies first.

None of what you describe is remotely like ALS onset. I hope your doctors can help you get to the bottom of it quickly.

not sure if I should go back to doctor because I feel great.

You " feel great" yet report symptoms that bother you enough to post on an ALS forum? Your symptoms do not say ALS to me but since they drove you to register and post and ask us to read your concerns, surely they are enough to trigger a call and visit to your primary physician?

Last edited:
I would say that if you would take the time write all that, and to ask people dealing with a terminal illness to read and reply, then you should go to the doctor. I mean that respectfully and hope it is easily solved for you.

so sorry guys I know exactly what you mean. what I am saying is I have been to my pcp a few times about the twitching and I am able to function totally fine physically. it is just that these things are driving me NUTZ you are totally correct in saying that I should go back and my wife informed me that she made an appointment for me this Tues. thank you all so very much for your time I guess I just let my concerns about this stuff get the best of me with my voice just kinda slowly fizzling out. you guys are awesome for helping me feel better!

Well went to my GP last night and told him that the twitching was still going. Asked him his advice/opinion and he said I need to be referred to a neurologist. His exact words "if it is something bad it's in your best interest to start treatments sooner than later" a little bummed I was hoping he would tell me it was nothing to worry about. It was the shortest visit I have ever had it was probably less than 5 minutes. So bummed guys.

That's good news then!

There is no treatment for ALS, so he is thinking you have something that can be treated.

Good luck!

Called doctor today to find out the status on my neurologist appointment referral come to find out the Neuro they referred me to has now been retired for quite some time. Lol! I think it's been a while since my doctor has had to deal with a neurological patient. They are looking for another one that is taking new patients. Meanwhile I'm not doing any internet research and doing things with my family (including some remodeling) to keep my mind off of it.

Aside from still twitching I have noticed some new things that are a little troubling one is the need to cough after drinking and eating and like thick mucous is collecting in the back of my mouth and I'm constantly swallowing to get rid of it that also makes me cough. Also (this is a weird one) I get the occasional feeling of not being able to get a satisfying deep breath. These things are not keeping me from being able to do my UPS job or being active but they are a constant reminder. Just wish I could get to a Neurologist and get over this. You guys have been so great! Just giving a update.

GOGETTER: Thanks for the update. You're doing all the right things.

Sweet!! just got the call my Dr. Put the rush on the referral to a Neuro and appointment made for the 4th of February + I'm on standby for a cancellation.

Well today was the day. Went in for my neurologist appointment and he did a lot of clinical exam testing for strength and reflexes. No brisk reflexes and I passed all the tests no problem. He did see the twitching in my calves and feet and searched the rest of my body with some kind of light. In all he is not worried at all about ALS in his words if I had these symptoms for 5 months with no weakness or development it is highly unlikely to be anything sinister. I asked about the twitching,tremors,vibrating,spasms,fatigue and cramping I have been having and he gave me a diagnosis of BFCS (benign fasiculation and cramping syndrome) pending no progression in a follow up exam in six weeks which I am sure will be clean. I will admit that the anxiety of this whole process can really get the best of a guy and play tricks on the strongest of minds. In all thank you to everyone who responded to my questions you have all been very kind and as bad as this may sound I hope you never hear from me again. thank you all again so much!

I know people in the DIHALS group will be reading this and I hope this gives you some encouragement. ANXIETY is a real factor! at one point I was even sure I saw atrophy in my hands and left leg. If you are twitching vibrating tremoring having spasms cramping and fatigued even swallowing issues IT DOES NOT mean that you have ALS. Go live your life.

You can close this thread I'm moving on.

Wonderful news. Closing as requested. Have a great life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back