Other
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hi,

To sum up what I'm about to say: my tongue sometimes feels like it's twitching, right now I feel nothing, but when I look at it in my mouth (whether I stick it out or it's just resting) it looks like it's kind of trembling. I'm not sure if it meets the "bag of worms" description people use so often, I'm very anxious right now, and if anyone could point me to information regarding what the twitching should actually look like and/or personal recounts I would be really grateful.

Long and miscellaneous information about me: I am a 17 year old boy, I have severe hypochondriasis and was committed to a psychiatric hospital for five months. Leading up to this point, I had noticed twitches in my legs, I went to my GP and she performed an examination that was too brief for my liking. That was the only examination I received prior to hospitalization. During hospital stay, I encountered many doctors, some of whom gave me coarse examinations, one however (a neurologist) performed a two hour neurological assessment on me, and concluded that I did not have ALS or anything of the sort. The very first component of the examination was him looking at my tongue for about 20 seconds. I feel as though this wasn't sufficient, but if he was right, and that I had no ALS at that time, could the answer have changed since? It's been about 5 months since that examination. Is it possible that he could have missed something? I'm sorry if I sound stupid to you, and I know that it's probably frustrating to read this, if you have had legitimate experiences with the disease. I really need some peace right now though,

Thanks

Hi tongue twitching is like other twitching not anything to worry about if you do not have other signs of ALS. Looking at your tongue for 20 seconds sounds like it was enough. That is something that is part of my exam every time I go as they are checking to see if my ALS has spread. I don't think anyone looked any longer than that. And a 2 hour exam sounds very comprehensive. Now the chances of you having ALS anyway at your age without a family history of young onset familial ALS are virtually non existent

I hope you are still getting good psychiatric care. You have obviously been significantly disabled by your illness and that is very sad. Wishing you a complete recovery. Please stop searching the net for ALS and visiting this forum it is very toxic to you

Thank you very much for your reply, I wish you the very best in dealing with your own illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back