Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Francisco
Hello,

First time poster here. I'm writing now because of the trouble my left leg has been giving me over the course of the past year.

I'm 18, which is far younger than the mean age for this disease, but my symptoms are cause for concern, in my own opinion. So let's get into those...

My chief complaint at the moment is the leg weakness, particularly my push off strength. I'm to the point now where I've developed a slight limp. I was walking into class and asked a friend to tell me if he noticed it, and sure enough he did. I've found that the weakness is at its worst when I first wake up in the morning, though it's there all day. I can stand on my toes, walk on my heels, hop on one foot, but yet I have that limp and weakness.

On my affected leg, I've noticed an indentation in my calf that appears to be caused by muscle loss. This indentation is not present on the right side. Couple this with the weakness and I can only attribute this to atrophy... This part is very bothersome to me.

In addition to the weakness and unconfirmed atrophy, Im experienxing diffuse twitching. I get them anywhere from the affected leg, to my face and everything in between. Again, bothersome to me, because it is accompanied by weakness and atrophy.

It should be noted that all of this began a little over a year ago, with twitching in my arm that quickly spread body-wide. This was during an intense period of stress, so at the time I pinned the twitching on that. And though the twitching has subsided, it's still here. And now so is the weakness and atrophy.

I must also mention that I'm suffering from multiole sensory symptoms in the affected leg as well. I feel fatigue in this leg, even when laying down. The lateral side of my left foot feels as though the sensation is decreased. The first word that came to mind with this sensation was numbness, but it's not numbness, I can feel things touching it, just not as well as the other side. I also feel nerve pain (prickly in nature) in my last two toes on that foot, as well as on the outer top part. I also get an occasional shooting pain down my calf, but that is infrequent. My foot falls asleep quite often, and it often feels cold.

I have lower back pain, however, I'm not sure whether that is a clue as to the real problem, or due to the extra stress being put on my back due to a weak leg.

That's my story so far, I was hoping to get the opinion of some of the people who would know about this disease, and whether or not this is a disease I should concern myself with, thank you for your time.

- BC

Ok ignoring for a moment your age. Sensory symptoms point away from ALS. A back issue fits your symptoms. ALS does not.
Now your age. The chances of an 18 yo without a family history of early onset ALS having ALS at all are incredibly infintesimal. The chances of a very atypical presentation make it even more unlikely.
Go see a doctor and get an appropriate diagnosis. It is not going to be ALS in my opinion

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum - click on Do I have ALS? Is this ALS like you did to start this thread, then follow the direction to read before posting (which you haven't done as everything you posted was addressed in the sticky which is our official position).

You have perceived weakness, not clinical weakness.
Dents are not atrophy.
The sensory issues point away from ALS completely.

You don't mention having seen a doctor?

That would be a good place to start as a year of these problems truly points to anything other than ALS.

all the best

Hello Nikki,

Thanks for your opinion, I'm calling my family Dr. first thing tomorrow morning to see if I can get in for a visit.

One thing about my situation that seems odd to me is the timing of it all... The twitching and leg issues surfaced within a month of each other, certainly a strange (and scary) coincidence if indeed a back issue is to be blamed for my symptoms.

I attempted to do some research and could not my find any answers on how common it was for back issues to cause atrophy and weakness over a relatively short period. I guess that's a question for my Dr. if I'm able to see him this week.

You have perceived weakness, not clinical weakness.
Dents are not atrophy.
The sensory issues point away from ALS completely.
Tillie

Hello Tillie,

A limp would be suggestive of true weakness would it not? As far as the dents go, perhaps that wasn't the best word choice. The 'dent' on my calf appears to be caused by shrinkage of the medial head of my gastrocnemius. I don't remember this always being there, which is why I mentioned it at all.

As far as the sensory issues, I tend to agree with you that sensory symptoms point away from ALS. Though I've read studies and posts from people diagnosed with als on this very forum stating that they experienced sensory symptoms along the way.

I'm here because when you group atrophy, weakness and twitching then ALS is a potential cause. I know that my age and the presence of sensory symptoms make this an unlikely diagnosis, but I'd like the opinion of some of the people who've been there and know what ALS feels like. And so far, I'm getting the sense that ALS isn't something that I need to be concerned with at this point in time, though I do have a few more questions...

Nikki, thanks for the response. I'll make a call to my family Dr. with the intention of getting my lower back checked out. As far as the age thing goes, as I mentioned in my original post I'm aware that being 18 years old makes ALS highly unlikely. But I think the symptoms, not my age should be the focus (as the saying goes, it's not rare if you have it), and as you've stated, in your opinion, ALS doesn't match my symptoms. So you're convinced my issues are due to a back problem?

Regardless, you need to see a doctor and find out is this atrophy and clinical weakness at all. So far you are perceiving and self-diagnosing and after a year that seems to me to be a concern.

Once a doctor can say yes or no to this, they can begin searching for the cause.

Everything still points away from ALS, and grasping from all you read around the internet is not healthy. Seeing a doctor is the healthy approach and will give you the answers we cannot.

Please see a doctor now before asking here further.

Tillie, so, regardless of whether atrophy and weakness are confirmed, you don't believe ALS will be the cause?

I have not seen or examined you. I simply said a back issue is a better fit for your symptoms. Your age is relevant And so are your sensory symptoms. There is a difference between presenting symptoms which are under discussion here and symptoms that develop during the course of the disease. in a subset of patients as disease PROGRESSES it affects the sensory system. Go to your doctor as planned.

No I've said it clearly I thought but here it is

In my humble opinion you do not have ALS

I'm not a doctor and have not examined you, but blind freddy could tell you that if you think you have a terminal disease and have had a year of symptoms, go see a doctor.

Please let it rest until then.

BC, I read your post and don't see ALS there at all. But do get it checked out since you do have something going on.

Allow me to pile on; All of your symptoms are sensory. You state you can walk on your heels and toes and even hop on one foot. YOU DO NOT HAVE WEAKNESS. An asymetrical gait means nothing. By all means see your doctor. Don't forget to mention your anxiety issues. Do not chase this disease, it is bad enough when it finds you.
Vincent

BC, for someone 18 years old... your writing, spelling, vocabulary and composition skills are stunning.

Al, thank you for the kind words. I get it from my father.

Vincent, I will be seeing my Dr. this week. I'm still unsure about whether or not I should even bring up my concern about ALS. My fear is that he'll laugh off the notion and dismiss my symptoms entirely. I've had multiple members suggest a back problem, not ALS as the potential cause. So I think I'll start there.

Bottom line is, something is going on with my leg. Multiple sensory symptoms, fatigue, and a limp don't happen without a cause. You say I have no weakness, but a limp is present. And when I walk, hop, whatever it is I do, I get extremes fatigue in that leg only. Is that not a sign of weakness?

Trust me when I say that I am not chasing this disease, but rather asking the people who would know to see if my symptoms are compatible. That's why I'm here. As I've said, multiple kind and helpful members have suggested a back problem as a potential cause, so I'll go get that checked out and report back.

You are concerned about ALS enough to make 6 posts here and now you might not mention your concern to your physician? Don't lead with it but mention it so he/she can address it It is your physician's job and if you do not talk about it there you are going to have more questions here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back