Reason
Other
Country
US
State
DC
City
Washington
So, I've never been diagnosed with anxiety, however I believe I have it. I'm a bit of a closet hypochondriac, though I try not to go to the doctors knowing that I'm probably putting myself through some symptoms myself. However, before I thought I had anything related to ALS, I had symptoms that I thought were just a bit weird, but didn't associate it with anything.

Starting in Dec 2014, I was holding a paper mask mounted on a popsicle stick to my face and noticed it was shaking pretty good. I've never noticed any shaking before, so it concerned me a bit. I then started noticing that I would shake when I would go to set things down - coffee cup, moisturizer - anything that I had picked up seem to shake when I placed it down. Now I've noticed while I eat, my utensils shake.

Just the past month, I've been feeling weaker than normal. I had been training for a half marathon and had run 6 miles the week before, then attempted 4 miles (when I was supposed to do 7) and got exhausted. I've been running here and there since, but no where near where I was just weeks before.

I also have been getting twitching around my body - calves, quads, tricep area, and lower back. It probably happens between 20-50 times a day, when I notice them. There's a spot on my right calf that feels like its buzzing like a phone is vibrating against it.

Lastly, I'll experience strain or cramping - when I hold a pen, my hand starts to cramp up or if I go to use my arms or grab something, my forearm with feel like its going to strain/cramp. When I go to use my finger to press anything on my phone or iPad, it'll shake like crazy - so far I've noticed that when I use my fore finger and my thumb. While riding the subway today, I had to hold onto a ceiling rail due to standing room only and notice that every time I had to grip or hold myself in place because the train was coming to a stop or moving forward, my arm would shake due to what I believe was weakness...I've never had that problem before.

The strain I feel happens also on my hamstring and in the inside of my ankles.

Like all people on here that are panicking after googling their symptoms - I hate the fact the muscle twitch search number one is ALS...lets have the worst possible scenario. I started to self-administer my own strength tests - I pass them, however I feel like I should be able to do more...I had been active, running 4-6 miles 3-4 times a week, I walk to work about 2 miles round trip, and try to do some strength workouts here and there. I'm confused on why I feel so weak - I'm 28 years old. I want to chalk it up to my anxiety and getting older, but does the body go through that change so fast?

I do have an occasional pain from either straining to use my muscles or some pain at rest.

Please help :)

Silently panicking (except now here :oops:),

A

See your pcp. Your answer is probably there. Read or reread the sticky for this section
Shaking all over, buzzing or feeling weak are not symptoms of ALS. Twitching is meaningless and very common and you are reporting symptoms in ,multiple locations. Not the way ALS starts.
Really it sounds not remotely like ALS and may be something that can be found in a basic blood test

Are you serious?

Or... was it just plain fun to compose this Thread?

Nikki - thank you for your quick response - due to me being quick to post, I never saw or read the sticky. Thank you for being considerate and kind with your response even with my lack of knowledge! I apologize if it seemed insensitive!

Thank you and God bless!

-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back