Doctors refuse sending me for modified barium swallow, still having the problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arne

Reason
Other
Country
DE
State
Germany
City
Berlin
I wrote a few months ago. History of widespread fasciculations, including the tongue at times.

3 months ago I started to feel ticling-like sensation at the base of my throat, in my larynx, that got worse after eating. This, according to ENT, theoretically might meant aspiration of food particles, i.e. dysphagia of some sort.

The clinical exam was fine and while the neurologist did admit functional issues might not be apparent on the clinical exam (especially in the swallowing), he does not feel there is a need to investigate the problem.

I do not choke when eating or drinking but sometimes, like when watching a movie, I do not swallow and then have to couch up the saliva from my throat.

But as far I as I remember, nobody described their dysphagia problems like this tickling in the trachea/larynx after eating, as if a very small particles got in, so I am really clueless, scared and hopeless. I am 29 years old.

Please trust the doctors looking after you and keep going to them to be reassured.

If you are worried about bulbar onset I can assure you that your symptoms are not even remotely like bulbar symptoms.

Good luck

I agree with Tillie, no way this is bulbar onset ALS.

Try drinking something before and after eating. Get a humidifier for the room you eat in, and make sure you're not eating too fast and everything is bite-sized.

Maybe try an OTC nasal steroid (Nasacort is my fave)-- you could have allergies and/or vasomotor rhinitis leading to throat irritation.

Thank you for all your replies.

The problem is that when I drink, I often feel scratching/tickling as if some (very little) water made it to the larynx. No couching (reflexive) or choking but the feeling feels similar when I accidentally ingested water in a pool, you feel this burning-type of pain in your larynx and it scares the heck out of me that it means slight aspiration.

Closed for multiple IDs. Bliz you blew it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back