Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
ontario
City
hamilton
Okay so I posted this previously in the wrong place, and was directed here.

I am a 24 year old female from Hamilton, Ontario Canada. For 5 days now(I know it's not a long time) I have been experiencing scary symptoms. I have twitching while my body is at rest i have twitching all over as well as my leg which feels fatigued. I can do Pilate's still, do squats and it feels the same as my other leg but has a fatigued restless feel. It seems like walking n stretching makes me feel better. I am also obsessing over the size of my ankles. It seems as though in the back of my foot near the archilles tendon is way more bonier n smaller than the left side. I keep feeling little fluttering there all the time for the past 2 days. i have read that flutter (twitching) is the muscle dying and it is on the smaller ankle and right side of my body where all the symptoms are. I am convinced I have als (I know I can imagine and make myself believe I have it) and I can't think about anything else. I am not an overly anxious person nor do I generally worry much about anything so this is so odd for me to feel so worried and scared. I am going to the doctors tomorrow to get blood work. I haven't been to a doctor in quite some time because i have felt healthy. I also have random stabbing pains in my legs. I am hoping its some kind of vitamin deficiency. I also get a buzzing numbing feeling in my toe and fingers. All of theses symptoms came on so fast I just don't know what to make of it. I am currently employed at a law firm and can't even focus on work and the fear is taking over my life.
I also have unrelated symtoms such as increase heart rate while doing the most simplest thigns. I also have irregular periods, and messed up horomones.
I don't want to waste people's time and sound like I am "looking" to have this illness. I am genuinley concerned.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Hello Cait,
You do NOT have ALS. Ask your doctor about it tomorrow.

-- 24 year old >>> really, really young for ALS.
-- twitching while my body is at rest >>> twitching can be anything, or nothing at all
-- leg...fatigued restless feel >>> ALS doesn't feel fatigued/restless. ALS doesn't have a feeling at all.
-- walking n stretching makes me feel better >>> ALS never gets better, even for an instant.
-- archilles tendon...bonier n smaller >>> we're all asymmetrical, and get more so as we age.
-- twitching is the muscle dying >>> Only if you have ALS, which you don't
-- going to the doctors tomorrow >>> Good. Ask him about it.
-- random stabbing pains in my legs >>> ALS doesn't feel pain.
-- buzzing numbing feeling in my toe and fingers >>> ALS doesn't feel buzzed or numb.
-- increase heart rate, irregular periods, horomones >>> totally irrelevant.

I understand your concern. But I doubt you have any disease at all besides being worried about ALS. It happens. You definitely do NOT have ALS. Good luck with your doctor tomorrow.

Atsugi laid it our for you--none of your symptoms sound like ALS.

Thank you both for taking the time to answer thoughtfully. Hoping I feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back