Other
Country
CA
State
Canada
City
Canada
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of ALS beginning with muscle atrophy in their back? More specifically, a pair of muscles in the lower back (stabilizer muscles as far as I know)?

Im talking about my wife... It all began with Lower back muscle spasms/cramps at times, that began almost 2 years ago. Lower back curvature (locking like a lordosis). MRIs are showing that those muscles are atrophied (newer MRIs are showing that the atrophy in these 2 muscles is progressing). This has cause weakness in one upper leg (with some stability, balance issue).
She is now walking with a cane.

Doctors have indicated that the cause is neurological, but after almost 2 years of investigation with doctors (including 1 year with a neurologist), we still dont have an answer.

We are trying everything we can to finds answers or even clues, in what is causing this,
I have much more details if needed...

Thank you for you time and courage.

>Doctors have indicated that the cause is neurological, but after almost 2 years of investigation with doctors (including 1 year with a neurologist), we still dont have an answer.

most doctors and many neurologists are not experienced in mnd related problems -- there are around 100 different possibilities if motor neuron related. find an mnd trained neuro or go to a specialty clinic. Where are you in CA?

we are going to see a third neurologist in Montreal in a few weeks

To answer your question directly: No, it doesn't sound like any ALS I ever heard of.

There's definitely something bad going on. But it could be many, many things. It's just not likely to be ALS at all.

That's the good news. ALS is fatal because it attacks all motor neurons--and all voluntary muscles. Eventually you can't eat, swallow, or take a deep breath, so you die. But this back problem your wife has doesn't seem like ALS at all.

ALS attacks in serial order, from tongue to feet or--usually--feet to head. I've heard rumor of it starting in the lung muscles (respiratory onset) but never any other way. And if it's been going on two years without spreading to her arms, it's not ALS.

Good luck with the neurologist. Until then, don't worry about it being fatal or incurable.

Thanks a lot to both of you, Atsugi and Max, ...godspeed

I am always in Atsugi's camp on things. He is a glass half full kinda guy with mostly "it doesn't sound like" and in almost every case, that is a true read on what is presented and is likely in yours as well.

I do believe, however, in the prospect of being pleasantly surprised rather than being bitterly disappointed. When I went through the "perhaps", "possible" "probable" "yup you got it" stages long before I hit the bingo card, I was mentally prepared that this was it. If at any time the Docs came in and said...wow...you are free to go...I would have be ecstatic. When they said ..ooops sorry...it was ok in my mind as I'd passed that realization.

What I am saying, badly for sure, is go your own way on how you view the condition/progression. Atsugi is most certainly correct but on the off chance that he isn't, you will gain a lot by mentally dealing with it upfront rather than waiting for the Doc to say "come in and close the door..please sit down".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back