Not open for further replies.

worriedcyclist

Country
AU
State
NSW
City
NSW
I posted a while ago about some weakness i've had all over my body, but I have a strong suspicion that it is caused by a sleeping disorder as I grind my teeth at night and suspect disrupted sleep. The weakness is still there (for example I can do 20 pushups and have done 20 most days for the past 3 weeks but aren't getting any stronger).

The reason I'm posting is because of something in my throat that is scaring me. I've been a little bit worried that I've been experiencing problems with my throat that could hint als but dismissed them as most of the time the unusual feelings would go away once I either burped or some mucous lodged in my throat came out. However recently I noticed when eating an ice block, when I swallow occasionally some of the ice block will get stuck somewhere in my upper throat, and swallowing does not help dislodge it unless there is more ice block/food in my mouth to be swallowed. I noticed this with ice-blocks in particular because the cold sensation is quite noticeable when it gets stuck in my throat, so it could be happening with other food but I'm not sure.

I'm quite worried and really hope that it is nothing, and I'm only 20 years old. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thank you very much.

Have you been to a dr yet? That should be your first stop on your quest for answers. I am not a dr but I don't think it is als. I am not saying there is nothing wrong but without going to a dr you won't know.

You are very young and it is very very very rare for als to affect someone of your age. Researching and asking questions on the net can't help you, only a dr can.

Not to be crazy here but stop eating ice blocks. The ice could be causing a constrictive reflex. Be happy you can do your push ups every day. If you have ALS that might be a real problem.

Ice blocks?!? In Canada, we're talking a big chunk of ice!
What you're describing does not sound like bulbar. See your dr to clear your mind.
Enjoy life, no one should have to be worried or stressed out so much at your age.

I agree, see a doctor and tell them you are having trouble swallowing. There are easy swallow tests to do and it can be a whole variety of issues, including maybe a minor food allergy. My other advice is to read only reputable sites on the internet. There is so much misinformation out there, of course you get scared. See a doctor, and stop swallowing ice chunks, they do not thaw quick enough if they get stuck in your throat and you may not be able to breathe.

OP, really does not sound like ALS but see your physician if you have swallowing trouble. Everyone else, I believe an ice block is a popsicle in North America so not such a strange thing to be eating in the summer Down Under!

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate them and you're helping put my mind to ease! :D

Vickim: I went to a doctor around 8 months ago but my symptoms were not as bad as they have been lately and the doctor just dismissed them as stress. I think i'll book another appointment but just so I can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the replies guys, and I'm from Australia and have always called what you guys would call a popsicle an iceblock haha I didn't even consider that when I wrote the post sorry!

I'm going to book a doctors appointment and maybe request a referral to a neuro just to put my mind to ease. I've been waking up lately and my body just feels depleted right from the moment I wake up in the morning, especially my hands and ankles. It feels like I can't flex, although if I try I can. I think a sleep disorder may be causing it but I don't know enough to say for sure, I'll let the doctor decide.

Thanks again

Just saying, if you can do 20 push-ups every day--you are barking up the wrong tree. YOU DON'T HAVE ALS. why on earth would you think that? This forum is not the place for you--go to your doctor. and FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back