Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
NOVA
I've been browsing the board for over a month ago, and I was hoping I would resist the urge to post here, but I guess my symptoms and fears have gotten the best of me.

In mid-late May, I started experiencing tingling sensations in my fingers and my toes, mostly my fingers. I saw my GP in early June, everything came back normal, no B-12 issues and no lyme disease. A week later I saw a neurologist, we went through the strength and balance tests and she said I was fine. She did notice I had hypereflexia in one of my legs, but wasn't concerned with it. She told me to put ALS out of my mind. The following week (2nd week of June) I had an MRI, everything was good.

Since then, I've experienced a weird, annoying tingling and some what painful sensation in my triceps, right around the elbow area (especially my left arm). It's at it's worse when I'm at work or if I push up on my arm. At times my fingers feel kind of stiff, but no clumsiness or weakness. Starting last week, I've experienced a couple of fasiculations on my arm around the elbow area and today on my hand near the wrist. I have an EMG scheduled next week, I'm just anxious. I've read all the stickies and I understand typically tingling is not a symptom, but by doing a search in the archives, there have been people who were diagnosed with ALS and it began with tingling and numbness in their hands and feet. When I wake up in the morning or from a nap, usually there is tingling, and it's usually in my left hand.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Why are you worried if you have no weakness at all?

I'm worried because there are instances in which tingling in the hands and arms have been a precursor to ALS. On top of that, I've had fasiculations start in my arm and hand as well. Trust me, I hope i'm being paranoid, I'm just seeking some advice before I get my EMG.

Sounds like carpel tunnel or nerve entrapment. Not ALS. Listen to your Doctor.

Ms Pie. I was thinking the same thing, I just can't find any correlation between the disorders you mentioned and fasiculatons

Facsiculations are quite common in everyone. There aren't typically tingling symptoms with ALS.

Without weakness that interferes with daily tasks my mind wouldn't even go to ALS

Me too. Even with weakness I didn't think ALS. Tingling isn't a symptom. You have no symptoms that are specifically ALS.

Thank you for the replies. I have another question, I was looking at some other websites, (bad idea, I know), mainly patients like me and als.org, and I noticed there seems to be a fair amount of posters who strongly believe tingling (especially in hands and feet) can be and is a good precursor to an ALS diagnosis. Looking at this site and the threads that go back 5-7 years, that is a theory that is normally not supported. Any thoughts on why there is such a difference in opinion between this site and the other two?

Any feedback on my previous question? Thanks in advance

No idea why.

I've never had tingling.

Any feedback on my previous question? Thanks in advance

You should ask these questions at the aforementioned Forums on your post.

Carlos, I did, and unlike this board, you really don't get a reply. I have an EMG scheduled for Monday, what should I expect, is there pain involved or just mild discomfort? Do you get the results right away, or is there a wait like an MRI?

MRI results, unlike should be out the same day.
Pain is not a sign of the way ALS manifests itself nor tingling.

I've seen tingling but mainly for Peripheral Neuropathy.

Regards,

Slimva,

The EMG is no picnic, but tolerable. Mine was performed by my neurologist - he gave me the results then & there. I think, if it's done by a technician, the results are transmitted to your neuro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back