The difference between a muscle cramp and a muscle spasm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
pt
State
algarve
City
tunes
Hello everyone
Can you please tell me the difference between a muscle cramp and a muscle spams. I have some kind of muscle contraction in my legs, many a day. I thought it was spacity, but I'm not very stiff. I get some kind of contraction when I walk in most of my leg muscle and if i do repeated movements, like I was coloring with my daughter my forearm muscle got tight( stuck) and I had to stop for some seconds. This has happend before when I was drying my hair. My muscles don't get hard like a Charlie horse, but something is not right.
Kind regars

Hi,

I found these two definitions for your question:

-------

Muscle spasm: a painful and involuntary muscular contraction.

-------
Muscle cramp: An involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscle that does not relax.

--------

Regards,

NH

This is what I found on a quick search.

Sometimes called charley horses -- particularly when they are in the calf muscles -- cramps are caused by muscle spasms, involuntary contractions of one or more muscles. In addition to the foot and calf muscles, other muscles prone to spasms include the front and back of the thigh, the hands, arms, abdomen, and muscles along the rib cage.

Almost everyone experiences muscle cramps, which come without warning.

Spasm vs. Cramp

The difference between a muscle spasm and a muscle cramp is the force of the contraction. If a muscle quickly contracts and releases without pain, it is a spasm. A prolonged and painful contraction is a cramp.

Thank you, Vickim.

Very well put and explained.

Regards,

NH

Both hurt! No matter what Noah Webster may say.

I get some very short "spasms" which can, at times, bring tears to my eyes. These are totally unexpected and can happen while I'm sitting minding my own business.

The "cramps" are a tad less painful but long lasting (sometimes an entire day). In my case, these occur if I move the "wrong way".

I get both and yes they do hurt but I have to say the cramps are the worst. Like you said sometimes they last all day. I have even had them last a couple of days, in my right outer calf mostly. I am near tears because even motrin doesn't help. My spasms are fleeting in length and are a mild discomfort.

Thank you all. I know that Charlie horse cramps in calfs are painfull, I think everyone has them at times, more at night sleeping, but I know they are normal. What worries my more is the short ones I get in varios places, many a day, when active. They are not painfull like charlie horses and last only some seconds. Another question I would like to ask you is a twichy one. I know you've had many, but I was wondering do they go away if you move the muscle? And then come back or do they not go away at all?
Thank you so much
Hronn

Hanginon, you are the wimp. You come here and have nothing useful to offer because you are wallowing in your in self pity and taking it ou t on people here. I am sorry you seem to be having a bad day, but take it somewhere else where you can't hurt anyone but yourself.

Island

I'd suggest being sure you are hydrated (are you drinking 8 glasses of water a day?) Dehydration is the #1 cause of cramps/spasms. If that's not the issue, deficiencies are next in line. Things like vit B-12 or potassium.

If not any of the above--you can ask for something to help control them if they get severe or bothersome. They don't mean you have ALS--if they did--I'd have had ALS since I was about 6. (I've had cramps and spasms daily since I was a child)

I definitely don't want to get into or start a "fray" with this.....but I can appreciate and/or see where hangingone1's frustration could get aroused. Right, wrong or indifferent, he has suffered a tremendous loss-----! Whether we agree with his method of responding to continued queries by a certain individual certainly shouldn't open the door to such harsh criticism. Please keep in mind that I am incredibly hypercritical of some of the dumb-butts that frequent this forum with their seemingly inane desire to have this beast of a disease....however, since not all of us (especially me) have walked his path and suffered his loss....maybe we could be a take a step back and bite our tongue. Just a thought for the moment and no criticism being directed. Take care to all.

Ruth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back