Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CH
State
Xinjiang
City
Urumqi
Hi! This is my first post. I've read the stickies and a number of relevant threads but I'm finding it a bit difficult to find the specific information I'm hoping for, so I thought I'd ask some people with a bit more knowledge.

My situation is this: I'm 27 and recently had some sort of stomach bug. This is not unusual: I'm currently living in a developing country and the food is often unreliable. I only mention this on the offchance that it might be relevant. Anyway, immediately after this I noticed fasciculations in my calves. I can't really say if they began then, they may have been going on for some time - I can't feel them and they are only visible in good light. They are constant and look exactly the same as videos of ALS fasciculations that I've seen on youtube.

I've not noticed any weakness.

I know that fasciculations themselves do not signify anything specific. However, I am in an extremely remote area with unreliable medical facilities. I am not due to return to England for another year. I don't want to fly to a major city unless I absolutely have to. If you could offer some advice or recommendations, I would appreciate it very much.

Specifically:

1) Do bilateral fasciculations count as localised? Should the fact that I have them in both calves reassure me?

2) I know weakness tends to precede fasciculation. In my case it hasn't, or else I haven't noticed it. How long before I can take some reassurance from this?

3) If local doctors aren't equipped for EMG, are there other diagnostic procedures worth seeking?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Sorry you all get faced with such similar questions so often.

Don't worry is my advice. Everybody twitches and all twitches look alike. If you don't have any weakness you have nothing to worry about. Relax.

Thank you, Ms. Pie. I am doing my best not to worry, although it isn't very easy. Your reassurance was very welcome.

Bilateral vs. asymmetric sx is definitely reassuring. You could have an electrolyte deficiency/imbalance from your bug. Drink some OJ, eat bananas, drink lots of fluids, consider some salt if you don't get a lot. And rest.

If it persists, you should consider a parasitic infection given your hx if same is endemic to your area. But you are probably fine.

Igelb, thank you very much. I hadn't considered that. This seems to have hit me suddenly and I've been trawling the internet for possible reasons for it. The muscle fibres in my calves are popping and flexing constantly, randomly and I'd never seen anything like it before; seriously freaked me out. It's good to hear a plausible explanation for it!

Like Ms. Pie said, weakness is the hallmark sign of ALS. No worries.

That said--there are imbalances of several important vitamins and electrolytes that can cause the issues you have--that are completely fixable. See a GP and get a B-12, Vit D and Potassium level checked if the doc agrees they are a possibility.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back