Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hello my name is Travis. I am just turn 30 years old back in the Spring 2012. I am active and eat a extremely healthy diet. Throughout my 30 years so far I have always been healthy thank God and never no real problems. In Dec 2011 I had a rapid heartbeat which was SVT.. Feb 2012 I had an ablation that corrected the problem and nothing ever since. Now to the ALS possibilities. Throughout years I would get twitching on triceps or pretty much anywhere in my body on occasions once in a blue moon. Since Dec 20th 2012 I had some major twitching/ spasms in my chest next to breast bone and little in upper chest. I do not know if this is due to working out or playing tennis which I do a lot. When I coughed or laughed hard I can feel a little pain or burn were it was twitching. Since Dec 20th which was now 14 days ago exactly. Within these 14 days I would say 5 days I had the twitching in my chest last Friday night after playing tennis for an hour and it seemed like it flared up with excessive movement and was feeling weird! and stopped playing..so in my head I thought it was related to my ablation, etc...and called my doctors cell and he said it was nothing related to the ablation or SVT and said it was muscle fatigue / low potassium/possible magnesium or electrolytes levels. I was feeling relieved! Then after a couple days I was getting some twitching in tricep for 5 sec. bicep for 5 secs and shoulder for a few secs..I looked this up on Google and boom ALS! I am scared and think I have it now..Like I said before I play hardcore tennis all year and workout all year, you name it and I would say a couple time or once I would get twitches and now for a few days I had them sporadically for a matter of seconds. From reading all these things I will be making an appointment with a Neurologist now. I do not know if it is from stress now thinking this way but my legs feel a little tired and weak...ps I went for a brisk walk yesterday for about 20 minutes. Would this be ALS and does it come like this? I am 30 yrs old and no history either. What do you think? also I can move all my toes and fingers and can type fine.

Calvin82, I think you are jumping to conclusions with ALS. You need to put that crazy thought out of your mind--just having twitches without real muscle weakness (not just perceived) is not an indication of ALS no matter what the internet says. Yes, people with ALS have twitching, sometimes alot and sometimes a little...but that is not a symptom of ALS it is a result of other issues.

We are not doctors here and frankly, I do not know what an ablation or svt is but I do know that based on what you say your lifestyle and age and symptoms are you are over reacting. it is like saying I have a headache so I must have a brain tumor.

Do yourself a huge favor and do not research your symptoms on the internet. enjoy your life, your active and healthy lifestyle. maybe scale back and rest for a bit--you might have a virus or have pulled a muscle (remember I am not a doctor just a mom). instead of focusing on yourself, perhaps you can find someplace to volunteer to take your mind off your own problems--like a homeless shelter or a food bank. maybe volunteer to teach tennis to under privledged kids. If your symptoms progress or worsen significantly then go back to your GP in a month or two.

I agree 100% with barbie.............nothing sounds like als.
My son body builds at the gym 3 times a week and he twitches in his chest,in fact before then he used to regularily get twitches in his legs..........he's 24 .
If exercise is iritating whatever is wrong with your heart/chest you should take more gentle exercise,i used to do body building (i am female by the way)but developed palpitations and chest pain after each training session and was told i had to stop.........stress on the heart.

Carlos...I agree that you may be jumping to conclusions. Reading and evaluating based on research on the internet is not good! Trust me, I did it myself. I think you should go and see your doctor in person and get a thorough check-up if it makes you feel better. Also, if it makes you feel better to go see a neurologist you should do it. My ALS came on with nothing more than a limp in my left leg and foot drop...had no idea...so if you are still playing tennis and walking without lots of fatigue I just don't think you should worry. Again, I'm no expert and quite frankly still trying to digest and accept my diagnosis. But don't let your mind go too crazy and no matter what anyone says...if you want to go to various docs and get checked out do it! But the internet is not the place. Best of luck and hope you are feeling good.

Thanks for replies....Yes I looked at the internet and very scared like you all have said. I feel like my whole body now is fatigued and tight all over....! Possible from anxiety and stress...from reading all these things. One thing...even though I have tightness and fatigue all over my body it feels I run up stairs and climb two stairs at a time pretty fast.. would you be able to do that? Also, what are the odds of ALS overall?

I can't roll over in bed. It sounds like you're just fine. Not ALS. Stop reading about ALS and your "symptoms" will go away. If you need professional reassurance, see your GP. Nothing at all that you've described sounds even close to ALS. Have a good long life! :)

Hello, I just got back from the doctor. He took blood to check b12, TSH thyroid, and two other things. I told him entire story like I wrote on here. I asked him if this was ALS and he said NO. He was concerned for my heart to make sure everything is ok..Also had me do a chest X ray and stress test.. I went Barnes and Noble after word and was sitting reading and had a few twitches above knee lasted about 5 seconds or so. I have read once the muscle twitches you already lost muscle and twitches would be last of your concern. So twitches would be accompanied by me not being able to move or?

Listen to your doc.

momap53.... can you elaborate and tell me about twitching and weakness...I am listening to my Dr.. but still a little scared... anything?

I am listening to my Dr.. but still a little scared... can you tell me more about muscle twitching and weakness? thanks..

So please tell me this.. if I feel like I am weak and weakness due to ALS...would I be able to move my foot up and down? jump with two feet together stairs in my house? do some push ups? Even though I have twitching or spasms...and in my mind I feel weak would I be able to do these things?

any other information on twitching and weakness?

Sorry to be so blunt in this response but here goes. LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR . YOU DON'T HAVE ALS! PLEASE GO LIVE YOUR LIFE! Kim

what was his symptoms Kim..... what about my twitching?

The more you stress and worry the sicker you will feel. Stress does bad things to the body to include twitching. Try some relaxation, deep breathing, meditating or something you enjoy to relax. If you are convinced something is wrong go back to your doctor. I am sorry you are going through this, I wish you peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back