Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
No
State
Krakeroy
City
Norway
Hello again.... I am almost scared of posting here again, but I have to try..... i know You Get tired of anxious people like myself!

I had a normal emg 9 weeks ago, ncv showed slightly decreased f Waves in all muscles in right thigh, leg and foot.
I have been exercising 3 times per week for about 4 weeks and the fascikulations in my legs are now constant, always there, both the ones I see, and many I do not see... 24/7. I also have more buzzing in the legs now.
My right arm and thigh/leg aches much more and gets more stiff than the leftt side after exercising... I have no clinical weakness, normal neuro exam.

When I did my first emg I only had widespread, but constant fasciculations...
I started with fasci 3 weeks before the emg.
I have also developed some sort of tremor which can occur anywhere, but mostly hands, arms, face....
Do You think a new emg is warranted based on the worsening of my symptoms ( especially the constant fasciculations)
By the way, I do see a therapist for anxiety although I feel I have justified reasons for feiring ALS...
I have a neuro appointment in 2 months...

Tanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

Tina

If you have no weakness , normal neuro exam and no atrophy I would wait for your next neuro visit. Could be a virus anxiety or many other things. maybe cut out the exercise and have a rest . Too many visits to the neuro will make them less likely to listen and more likely to say you need a psychiatrist. you have to wait for a significant change im afraid its a waiting game.
best wishes

Tina,

you do not have ALS, you have another problem!

Do you have a boyfriend or husband?

Nikola

Tina,

Dealing with uncertainty is so terribly difficult and I'm sorry that you have to be going through that.

I agree with oscar1 that it is best to wait until the neuro appointment as hard as that is going to be. Your neurologist will then be in the best position to determine whether or not another EMG is warranted. You probably know how important exercise is in stress relief so it would be a shame to lose that during a time of heightened anxiety. If, however, you are observing increased symptoms, you could always modify your program.

Take care.

Remember too that those are all pretty vague symptoms and could be caused by so many things -- the vast majority of which are probably minor and far less severe than ALS.

I'm not really sure what you want me to say. You talked yourself into having ALS and now it's up to you to talk yourself out of having ALS. Obviously easier said than done, but it really is just that simple.

P.S. You ask if you should get another EMG? If you have time and money to waste, then sure, get another EMG and waste your time and money. If I were you, I'd spend that time and money on therapy and meds if they are prescribed to you.

Ok... I see.. I am not stupid, just asking (stupid) questions... I have been working as a nurse for 10 years, for the last 5 years I have practiced as a midwife.. but maybe we are more prone to healthanxiety when we see much pathology in our worklives..?:)

It is just that in my 36 year old life, I have never experienced something like this... and my fascikulations are real and muc more intense now then when I had the emg done 17. aug. I also read that people tend to get more than one emg. My neuro told me to come back in 6 months if problems did not resolve.. why the h... would he do that? I also had a bunch of other tests, including mri (ruptured disc in lumbalarea), clean spinal test, bloodtests... Jeez!
And I really dont think a physiciatrist can do anything about my fascikulations. I have 3 lovely kids and just tries to maintain a normal life, I mostly do:)
The fascikulations which are going nonstop in my legs, gets much worse after exercise, like popcorn machine, not kidding!:)

Sorry that I seem like a lunitic, I assure you... I am kind of a nice girl too...:)T.and I do not talk about this to anyone around me, only my doctor...

Love to get responds from you, WHY not a new emg f.ex..?

Love, Tina

It's very likely the issues I'm your legs are directly related to the ruptured disc in your spine. You should spend the money consulting a ortho surgeon in my opinion.

Tina

Wright has already explained that he thinks another EMG now would be a waste of your time and money, but he hasn't told you not to get one. So your faux question 'why not' is entirely misleading; it's entirely up to you to decide.

You are entirely free to use your time and money as you choose; you are not free to insist on other people using their time as you wish. Asking the same questions over and over again, and demanding answers from people who have already answered, isn't something you are entitled to do...

Of course I don't mean that I am more entitled than others on this board.... I am so sorry if I am saying or come off in
a wrong way... Maybe my english isn't good enough either....(from Norway).

Go ahead and get your second opinion. It's just that usually a second opinion is to try to disprove an ALS diagnosis, not to prove an ALS diagnosis after a clean EMG. Usually when your EMG is clean people believe it and pursue another diagnosis rather than beat a dead horse. Ultimately it's your choice.

I second what Ms. Pie said. Subsequent EMGs are the result of having first an abnormal EMG not because the first was clear.

Clean EMG + NO Weakness = NO ALS.

Perhaps it is time to consider the issue lies elsewhere. It's not MND, so wait and see if anything gets worse. Are you able to do your work?

MND would have shown something abnormal on your exam or EMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back