Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
SC
City
Easley
I began having muscle weakness in the spring including several falls, difficulty particularly with my left leg, swallowing problems, and slurred speech. After a scary fall, I was referred to a neurologist. Since my first appointment in July, I have had brain, lumbar, and c-spine MRIs, all normal bloodwork, and normal nerve conduction studies. At my last appointment, my doctor did a one-minute emg on my upper and lower spine and declined to test my limbs. He did schedule a lumbar puncture for next month, and I have an upper endoscopy Monday due to cricopharyngeal dyskinesia identified on a modified barium swallow. My tongue is no longer midline and appears ridged on the right with a repeated area of flickering. My palate has fallen, and my uvula veers to one side. My reflexes are extremely hyperactive including a jaw jerk. Does a normal spinal emg suffice at this point? I had waited six weeks for the emg, and my doctor was not forthcoming about what he is thinking despite several questions from me. I read that spinal emgs are "a neurologists old wives tale" in terms of ruling out ALS. I would greatly appreciate any information or advice you may have.

After the lumbar puncture, if it is negative and your symptoms are still bad, you owe yourself a second opinion if you can get it.

Hi

I suspect that the neuro dumped ALS to the bottom of his possibles list because you appeared to be presenting with limb onset and bulbar onset simultaneously which is exceedingly rare. Has he actually seen your fallen palate and deviated uvula?

And I'd go with Beky's advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back