Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
--
First of all I would like to commend and thank all of the people on this forum that give great advice and deal with people like me that are worried about their symptoms. It's baseball season, and all I should be doing is worrying about my Texas Rangers, but can't help but think something is wrong.

In late March, I had just completed a basketball tournament, and the following day, became dizzy for a bit. I ignored it, went away, and the next day I went to run, and when I did my lunge stretches, my thighs shook on both legs. I thought it was weird, but it didn't hinder me so I ignored it and continued to run a few nights per week.

One month later, I felt a numbness in my left thigh to my foot. Felt it on and off, but again, ignored it and played basketball 3 days later. The next day, both my arms were sore along with my legs, and I gained somewhat of a tremor in my hands.

If I hold out my leg, it tremors. If I hold out my arm, my hand has a little tremor, and it tremors often when I hold things, but only minor. Thigh still tremors if I try to lunge stretch and become shaky if I exert them a lot. My left calf and foot bother me the most, as it has a constant, not necessarily pain, but feel to it. They both twitch the most, but I also twitch all over. It feels weaker.

Went to GP, who noticed tremor and sent me to a neurologist. I looked up neurological diseases (stupid me) and was led here, and became very worried. When I saw my neurologist 2 weeks ago, I told him how worried I was, and he pretty much told me I was an idiot for worrying about ALS. He tested knee and arm reflexes, and grip, which were fine, told me I had familial essential tremors and not to worry of any weakness, as if I can still do everything, it will be fine. I can do the home tests of walking of tip toes and heels also.

Lately noticed some floaters in my eyes and a bit of blurred vision, but it comes and goes. I usually wake up in the morning and have numb hands due to sleeping on them I assume, and when I throw them over the bed, the feeling comes back shortly. I'm 27, male, and have no insurance until September, as I just started a new job and that is when it kicks in.

Worried about ALS, and I know other things can cause my symptoms, but just want to see what the thoughts were here. Thanks for your time and for all of the information I have read on here, including the stickies and many other posts. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all out there.

Hi there,

When I saw the "lefty" in your tag, I had to reply, as I too am a lefty. Plus, I know just how it is to be scared (have been since last August).

Nothing you've described is concerning at all. Muscles will be sore, essential tremors will happen, as will eye floaters. There are a million benign reasons for these things, and the scary three letter word isn't one of them.

Last but not least, listen to your neurologist - he's the expert. If he had any concerns whatsoever, he would have let you know.

clichti,

Thanks for your response. Us lefties have to stick together :). I appreciate your time and for the reassurance. I will try to stop worrying so much, just wanted to get it out on here.

The doctor was right in telling you you were an idiot for worrying about ALS. Please believe him. 3 yrs ago I told the doctor I thought my husband had ALS, and she said I was very smart. I wish she told me I was an idiot.

sadiemae,

I am very sorry and thank you for your reply. I will listen to him. Worrying got the best of me, and I've never really had much anxiety until lately. I appreciate your time. Please forgive me if my post was far off from actually needing to worry about it. Thank you!

You are welcome. Enjoy your life.

I agree with Sadie, wish I was told the same! That aside (and I have 2 brothers and Dad who are lefties but I won't hold that against you :) benign essential tremors are pretty common, my Mom has had it for decades. It's aggravating, but benign... don't worry about ALS, but if you still have issues in the fall, go back to your gp at that time.

Good luck, and enjoy the summer!

Thank you. That's good advice. Neurologist just kind of listened for a bit and did the few tests and sent me on my way. He didn't do much, but I guess he didn't feel like it was needed at the time.

The leg calf is smaller than my right, but I'm not sure of the difference before I was having the soreness and shakiness, and I have always had smaller legs. I have stopped working out for the past 2 months in fear of injuring myself, so they could definitely attribute to the size as well from my understanding. I have soreness in my arms and legs, but it doesn't hinder me from doing anything at the moment, but my muscles get fatigued holding things and shaky at a certain point. Twitching in left calf and foot is worrisome, but I also get occasional twitches all over. I have started doing leg band workouts and will see if that makes any difference. Will start my new job in 2 weeks and wait the two months for insurance to kick in and go back to the GP like you recommend if I am still having issues at that time. Thanks again for your time and appreciate the advice!

he pretty much told me I was an idiot for worrying about ALS

Listen to your doc. My husband was a lefty and I can tell you your symptoms are nothing like those of ALS. Have a good weekend and a wonderful life.

Don't worry bout ALS ;) You don't have it point! You might suffer from compression neuropahy and discuss this with your neuro, there are many causes, this is 1 of them, take care and have a good work out ;)

I will try to stop worrying and get back to being active and see what happens. Will discuss with doc if issue continues this fall. Thank you both for your replies too and I appreciate everyone's time.

O M G I have that going on too! Do you have the soreness with it? I sure in the heck do!
I don't worry my body does it for me....I just wait for the next event....for me anyway...
what worry?
life too short and I am too old...I just find that I waiting

My daughter is left handed! I refuse to let them use stress as excuse when they don't know something.
I have to stick my other toe in......I think that sometimes it is hard for others with a certen dieases to except that maybe sometimes others need support, it maybe not look like a duck, or quack like a duck, but by God it sure acts like one....smile..

Well it's like we want to be happy think happy thoughts right...not always telling people what it is, suppose to answer their never ending questions that seem to be here one after another I guess right? Well I am new...I guess I have those questions...but I am real person, and I have suckie doctors that refuse to take my United health care plan....with the long term because if they do and are not on the long term insurance carrier plan they said they could get into trouble...so with that said how did our state do this to me...so right now I have no doctors....as long as my husband told them I had this long term insuarance...so I am stuck like in mud.
So what is next is to fight back....
I came here because I don't have a neuro and not sure if I can get one...until I either move, or die...maybe both...it feels that way.
NO Way do I want anyone here to be a doctor for me! God Bless for the nice thoughts...but I am reading the posts and seeing if I can
find myself in one and see what work for you....why ALS....it says a lot and looks like mind illness....so why not....
I am what I am that's all I am God gave me what I am.
So what is new is I'm worse.
I couldn't walk today.
so I know what to do...I did it.
I guess I was home alone and needed to talk is all.
thank you
buslady

buslady, I have United Health and I find that more doctors take it than most other insur ances. Health insurance and long-term care are two different types in insur ance.

Your other post suggested you're not able to walk? If that is the case, contact the ALSA or MDA for help getting checked out. MDA will pay for a diagnostic visit.

I did go and make apt earlier this year with MDA and it's inside the Barrow's hospital in Phx....and I have the report here. it doesn't make any since to me. My regular doctor is what I call a store front doctor.
Yes I know my medicade long term care is a secondary insurance.....they don't need referals they said if they are in second place...the problem is this: I have good untied health care insurance but the doctors find out about what the state approve me with this long term care insurance they won't see me? Why because they are not sign up....(in truth they probably feel they won't get paid their co pays) I have offer to pay for the co pays...still they refuse to see me any more...why it's against the law they said.
So unfornutly I have to find other new doctors that will take this long term care insurance thru the state of AZ. But until I can find doctors I have only my PcP who also doesn't take my long term either....but he told me that he will.....because of another person besides me sees him with the same insurance problem....and he does take medicade something to do with that? not sure myself.
Well my pills I take a few came up on renewal....but the heart doctor wouldnt' call back phrampicy so it took a while I got my PcP to do that for me...he told me when I saw him last he will do them all for me. It is very diffcult to go thru any type of illness and have to fight for rights...it is so hard.
I felt like just dying to tell the truth...just told the lady that the long term sends in to help me dress and bath and clean that I just wanted to die.
I guess I decided I can live a little longer....just told Jesus I was sorry. I am not crazy....just tied of the fight to right.
I guess my legs when I woke up yesterday from a nap didn't want to work....I been for days these never ending leg cramps....hard then let loose a bit then staying hard all day....was hurting yesterday...it was so stiff that I couldn't get up and walk....to get my walker...my scooter broke...and I use canes and walkers for now.
Yes I have one of those life alerks...the long term care is paying for that too.
I can tellyou all about all the things I have wrong but what's the use right.....I think it don't matter because I just have things going wrong...that is what matters.
I wear oxygen all the time..except when I get mad at my self..and terr it off...but mostly I wear it...like I'm suppose too..I get bloodie noses from drying out...I know what to do about that so don't worry.
I don't ask anyone to be a doctor for me....please don't.....
I know I don't have ALS....I have problems with my muscels not kicking in as Barrows hopsital MDA said...my muscels don't kick in....they are effected by this anterior horn cells (such as myelopathy, etc) in the EMG they did my second one and they only did my left leg too. they cannot rule out the possiblity of chronic denervation in muscles where motor units could not be activated.
They refuse to look at my right leg there. My first Neuro did on both legs came up with the Sensory Polyneuropathy with this plastic thing which I kept asking what it was....maybe I heard it wrong...my husband goes to all my apts and he heard it and ask questions too...it is weird.
Well until I get ride of my secondary insurance or lmove and they if they will relaste me from their grips I can change to another long term maybe, big maybe? I don't know for sure.
Until then I go to the ER for help.
it is strange and weird I have insurance yet they refuse to see me...all soreal.

As for other things...I am one left without anyone explaining anything to us....ok I look up things on the report to get a better understanding what I have...I have two reports now.
maybe I'll get this problem solved soon. My goodness I hope so.
I'm older and lucky to have what I have today...in the way of family like my husband...he helps me a lot....he is learning to cook and I have diabetes so I have to remind him that what I can eat...it is hard for him...I worry about him so much.
He doesn't like to clean I don't care what the place looks like...his poor fingers bleed when he does the dishes...I tell him to stop...so my daughter comes in once or twice a week and does the dishes for us...and the care person from long term insurance also does the dishes for us.
My husband isn't well either...but nothing like what I have...but he is in pain...what difference does it make which diease you have....?
oh well....if I am not aloud to be here so be it...I don't will not stay if not aloud too.
just your lost
I am not scared of any of these diesases....more afaird of how it effects my family. how much it takes to take care of me....I am more worried about that.
I have 15 grandkids right now.....with 5 adult children....my kids are Scott, Paul, Matthew, Jonathan, Andrea / Paulie had brain surgery when he was only 13mo's old...and is Developmentaly handicape today...he is so sweet and is my muscels now...he helps me a lot. He lives with 1/2 a brain....and does well he is between 4 and 7 years mentally. He is 37 today. I call him a bit higher then downs kids. He loves baseball.
My daughter lives near us and helps me with paul and does a lot of his respect care for us....and lucky to have her....she is my youngest child.

I have a learning disability so I don't spell well and reverse letters...so you have to excuse my writing...please.... I also have several other illnesses....I do know it doesn't matter so but thought why I am writing tell you about my kids....don't we mothers like to do that....smile

Well what can I tell you is yes pain, yes muscel cramps, or what you call something else...I buy over the counter pills to help with that cramping which I have had for years it seems...but worse in the last few years....
who knows why? I sure don't...and I guess It doesn't matter why....it's there...right now as I write to you I have stiffness...in both legs and they won't move over that stiffness...not easly. I find this all the time....no I don't have a Neuro doctor right now...I will soon....and he can find out why right.
what difference anyway?
well if you want to talk or write to me and tell me to see this or that doctor it's find....I probably done it already...just not memtioning all I have done...it's more my learning disability....Oh yeah the last neuro did a memory thing he try to get the insurnace to give me this pill they said no.
oh well....
I do know more then I can spell or write here...I broke my thumb last dec. and it don't work right....my little fingers aren't working well either...
they can really hurt like mad and I do have speaker thing my husband install but I don't talk well...I have a hearing lost so it is hard for me.
I had eye surgery for glocoma (mis spell) the worse one you can get; close narrow angle type...but I won't go blind now....just ok with the one floaters...I like them lol not really...just thought it funny to say.
well like I said I have many things going wrong...probably everything.
thank you for your ideas....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back