Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ct
City
Middletown
Hi everyone, I have posted about a month ago and I was wondering if anyone might have some input. I have been having some problems with my speech, not that anyone notices, only me. I also have some atrophy in my leg, which the first two neuros said was not atrophy. Today I had a appointment in Boston by a top ALS neuro. She noted that I do have atrophy in my leg and also noted that my reflexes were all vey brisk (which none of the othe neuros have noted) She ordered a emg which was done today, My dr said she would call me tomarow with the results, but the dr who did it said that "nothing jumped out on it, I specifically asked his about ALS and he said that it usually doesn't present itself this way. I was very concerned about my brisk reflexes and she asked if anyone had ever told me that before. Also saw a speech pathologist and she notised nothing abnormal. Does anyone know if brisk reflexes could be normal? Is this something I should be worried about? I plan on asking the dr tomarrow when she calls, just really nervous, any input would be appriciated

I have had two previous clean EMG's

Wait and talk to your doctor tomorrow. Have patience. So far no one has said ALS but you. Trust your doctors. Calm down. Wait to hear from your doctor. Good luck.

Thank you Ms Pie, Just really nervous, neuro said she didn't think it was ALS, I just thought it weird that no one ever mentioned brisk reflexes to me. Also said brisk below the neck, no jaw jerk or babinski. Also wondering if atrophy would be a umn sign? She is also ordering a mri of my spine.

Atrophy is a lower motor neuron symptom. I have very very brisk reflexes along with jaw jerk and babinski.

Brisk reflexes are highly subjective, even among neurologists. It's really only a bit more concerning if they are pathologically brisk. The answer to your question is yes, some people have very brisk reflexes and it is normal for them. Doesn't sound like you have a thing to worry about. Congratulations

Thank you for your input, Betty. Aly, sorry but could you explain what pathologically brisk means? Mine were very brisk but symetrical and below the neck is what she said. Honestly, you don't know how much it means to me to get all of your input, thank you so much! As always prayers out to you all.

I thought you had decided to stop looking for reasons to think that you have ALS or other MNDs.

You asked specifically about ALS. The neuro said no. Let it go.

Active and chronic denervation, found in ALS, jump out on EMGs. "Nothing jumped out" on your EMG. Let it go.

Bulbar ALS causes speech abnormalities. The speech pathologist found nothing abnormal in your speech. Neither did the neuro that saw you today. Let it go.

Brisk reflexes are not a big deal. Lots of people who never get ALS have and live with brisk reflexes. Let it go.

Lots of things cause muscle atrophy, including problems with disks in your spine. It's a good reason to order an MRI. But you immediately push the MND button. Let it go.

Or were you just blowing smoke when you said that you didn't really want ALS? If you don't want it, why do you keep checking everything doctors say to you against the ALS symptom list?

Let it go.

Tr, I tried, I really did, I am having such a hard time. I am a mess. I thought today would be the end, no other neuo I had seen mentioned brisk reflexes and thought I could get some info on it here. Really don't mean to offend anyone. Of course I don't want ALS, and I really do want to let it go.

To answer your question yes it is possible to just have really brisk reflexes...

Kathy. Getting upset about brisk reflexes is ridiculous. I have pathologically brisk reflexes at both knees and now elbows. If you tal them, they do not just do the normal or brisk jerk, they jerk 2 - 3 times with one tap. I also have atrophy.

My Hubby has very brisk reflexes in his legs and atrophy in a calf, due to a pinched nerve in his back, as Trfogey said, maybe you should look at common causes, instead of rare ones.

As I also have to add. I DO NOT have ALS. And I DO NOT have a normal clinical examination.

You have a normal clinical examination, normal EMG, normal speech according to an expert. What more is there to be said.

Thank you for your reply Ted, appriciate it. Ally, Thank you, the doc is calling me tomarow and I am sure she will say the same as you guys are saying. Thanks for the dose of reality, much needed!

Kathy,
like I told you on phone earlier some people just have brisk reflexes its normal and that if the atrophy was due to MND it would have shown up on EMG(lower motor). You are fine. Nothing wrong with you. TR is right could be due to disc lets see what MRI shows.

Kathy,
Don't worry. Clean emg = no als. :)

And Brisk reflexes are totally different than Pathologically brisk reflexes, they would be in a wasted or otherwise weak muscle, and would present with clonus. It would never be a normal clinical exam with those kind of findings. You do not have those kind of findings.. Do not buy trouble..

Sherine, Thank you so much for everything! And thank you everyone for your input, I feel so much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back