Other
Country
US
State
-
City
Veluwe
hi,
why is there mucus phlegm in the back of my throat, it's very annoying and have to cough a lot (don't have swallow problems yet)
Is this because of weakened throat muscles (bulbar) or respiratory decline?
Any insights, thanks
Elise

Elise, phegm and mucus at the back of your throat is most commonly caused by a post nasal drip. It usually occurs after a cold or sinusitis. Its very annoying, but will clear up on its own. If its really green and buggy looking, then you may need some antibiotics from your Doctor as your sinuses may infected.
Nothing at all to do with ALS or muscle weakness.
Try a steam inhalation, that helps.
Aly

Hi Aly,
Thank you, but I don't have a cold or sinusitis or anything. It's just clear/white. It's been going on for 4 months now.
I often read that PALS complained about phlegm in the back of their throat. But I wonder if it is due to throat weakness and so bulbar signs or respiratory decline.

I have the same thing, it's clear and constant. Try allergy medication, also hot tea helps thin the mucus. I've had it for several years. It is getting worse. My neuro said it's because the muscles in that area don't move it along.

When a bulbar onset PALS gets to the point where they can no longer talk or swallow anything (even their own saliva) then phlem and mucous becomes a real and serious problem. If you have no swallowing problems and have not been diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS then it's not related.

Also, when you can't get the mucous cleared out it is a problem. If you still have strength to hack it up, no worries.

Kern's Papya Nectar does help break it down. I drink two cans a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back