Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Marlton
Hi All,

Well, my husband had his sleep study and EMG. The sleep study showed no apnea but he has to go back because they told him to take his Lyrica..which suppresses movements so they don't know if he has a movement disorder or not (and even with REM disorder it doesn't happen every night).

As for the EMG, the dr said it was normal. However, I'm confused and a little concerned. I don't have much to go on, he didn't really explain it well. He said that one of his nerves is about half the size of the nerve in the other leg but it's still within normal range so it's ok. He was testing my husband's lower extremities and said since he didn't see anything in the lower legs (even though the one nerve is half the size as the other) he didn't see a need to go further and test the thighs or back. Now, this is the leg that my husband does have a herniated disc in and a few disc bulges (lumbar area). What I don't understand is how an EMG can be normal when one nerve is half the size...even if it's within a normal range? He said it could be a neuropathy, or he was born that way, he acted like no big deal. If it was a neuropathy, wouldn't he have seen it on the EMG? I'm worried that this nerve is getting smaller (whatever that means) and just didn't hit below normal limits yet, but might say in a few months, and that it getting smaller is any indication for ALS? I'm really not sure what this means and if it has anything to do with ALS. We are waiting for the official report (the dr did the emg but he didn't type up the report yet so I can't have the results in hand to read).

Any help would be appreciated! Not sure with this little amount that you could help me until I get the full report.

Trust your doctor, not ALS.

When the doctor says the EMG is normal, dance in the street! Don't be worried and insecure. Do you know how much a normal EMg would mean to the ALS patients on this forum?

Congratulations. I think it's even more clear now that your husband does not have ALS. I hope that you can now put your fears of ALS to rest and move on.

An EMG doesn't have to be perfect to be within normal limits. And as far as I know, ALS has nothing to do with changing the size of nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back