Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
San Antonio
I have had weak feelings in my right leg and shoulders with crampy feelings( no cramps) for over 3 months( still no clinical weakness). I'm 36by the way and have been to a neuro. he said He was pretty certain I didn't have ms or als right after my physical exam but gave me a full work up anyway( 2 mri, nc study and 2 emgs, bloodwork). He said the emg looked normal for my age and the state of my back and mentioned radiculopathy( multiple bulging discs in upper and lower back and some carpel tunnel). I heard him asking the tech during the emg if that was recruitment or not and then he would have me flex that muscle and then say that looks normal but on one I heard him say is that decreased recruitment and nothing else? after the emg I asked him if anything looked indicative of als and he said "definetly not, your good" and started talking about seeing a psyciatrist for health anxiety but did say my bloodwork showed a positive ana and he wanted to do a bit more bloodwork before sending me to a shrink. What do I make of all this?

I'd think you could be happy that you don't have ALS or MS. Not that bulging discs or carpal tunnel syndrome are picnics themselves, but they are treatable.

Is there a particular reason that you mentioned ALS during the exam? Family history? Military service?

I went to my primary first and hesent me to a neuro to rule out ms/als. I guess thats how it got in my head and really scared me, I mean down to my core. I was just wondering what all those terms ment. I wish I wouldn't have heard it as I have become neurotic over the past few months.

You have had numerous tests including 2 emg's by a Neurologist and he said no ALS. Your GP is a generalist, he sent you to the neuro to rule out ms / ALS and the Neuro did. Be happy! Good luck!

thanks everyone. I have gotten so stressed out anylizing every move or function of my body, now I feel like my mouth is not chewing or swallowing right though I swallow water and soda all day long with no problems. I need to get a grip.

thanks everyone. I have gotten so stressed out anylizing every move or function of my body, now I feel like my mouth is not chewing or swallowing right though I swallow water and soda all day long with no problems. I need to get a grip.

Sounds like health anxiety to me, but you've taken an important step on the way back: you've realized what you are doing to yourself, mentally and emotionally. That's better than a lot of folks we see here.

Give it some time and try to relax. Good luck.

I see that several of you guys have been diagnosed and still took the time to answer me. Thank you so much. I know it may sound like lip service but I will honestly keep you guys in my prayers every morning.

Thanks for the prayers. The fact that you can drink water all day long and not choke is a very good thing! Take care of your anxiety and you will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back