Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
NZ
State
canterbury
City
Christchurch
Hi I have just spent a sleepless night worrying about this.

I will admit to being a bit of a hypochondriac but I feel like I do have some symptoms of ALS.

Back in August I prolapsed a disk in my spine which compressed my left sciatic nerve, so I was limping for about two months until it got better so i have a lot of muscle wastage in my left buttock. and some on my left leg. I have been jogging and cycling for two months and the muscle hasn't returned. I also have foot drop of the left foot which hasn't improved much at all.

Two months ago I started to get excess mucus in my throat, went to the doc a month ago about it he put me on antibiotics but I still have this and it has turned into a cough and my voice has got husky.

I have had a weak feeling in my legs for around two months, and I get body jerks in my legs, hands, arms and sometimes whole body when I am lying in bed trying to go to sleep. I dont get this during the day.

My sciatic and lower back pain has come back over the last two weeks, not as bad as when i first did it, but i makes me walk stiffly.

I realise most of these symptoms are related to the prolapsed disk, apart from the throat thing, but I guess i'm just worried because they match alot of ALS symptoms and my muscle hasn't come back.

I'll go to the doc this week about my throat.

Cheers

Daniel

I should have said I am a 36 yo male.

also I am getting hot very easily and sweat when doing little exertion. Today when sitting at my desk I started to get a muscle twitch in my right bicep, been going for about two hours now.

I am on medication for anxiety.

Dear Daniel . It certainly sounds more like a disc issue still causing problems. Full body jerks just at the point of going to sleep is completely normal. Many people have them. They jerk the person awake. When stressed they are more common. Anxiety or many other things can cause increased mucus and cough. Draining sinuses for one.
Gladly none of your symptoms sound like ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back