Country
US
State
ma
City
boston
Hi,

Does this make sense?

When I questioned my Dr about ALS, he looked at my hands and said, "you dont have Atrophy". I questioned him because my foot is the problem (Footdrop)?

He said but atrophy will affect the hands (in between the thumb and forefinger).

This makes no sense to me! :twisted:

If your problem is foot drop, I agree that it makes no sense to look at your hands for atrophy, unless maybe your doctor detected weakness there on exam? I've not been following your posts, so I don't know your story, but from what you just said, it sounds like you should get another opinion. good luck.

I hope that was your family practice doctor and not your neurologist! I agree with Rose -- run (as best you can), don't walk to another doctor for a second opinion.

Oddly enough, it was at my neurologists office but it was a Neorologist in training who looked at me before the hotshot himself came in. The training Dr did my entire exam, however & then the Big Neuro came in & did a few touchups.

I definately thought that sounded, not just off but way off too! I'll bring it to the attention of the head nuero next time,

Thanks you both!

I hate hearing that whole "between thumb and forefinger" atrophy thing. That's exactly where my atrophy is.

::repeats to self::
If it were ALS, it would have shown up on EMG.
If it were ALS, it would be much more obvious after 3.5 years of twitching.
If it were ALS, the weakness would be impossible to ignore.
If it were ALS, the atrophy would have progressed much more in the 2.5 years since it showed up.
If it were ALS, weakness would have shown up before atrophy.

...OK, I feel better now.

Joe-- get to a doctor who listens to you, and knows about the issues you're concerned about.

Last edited:
Andy,

I love you mantra...I repeat most of those same things except for the whole clean emg thing...so I say "Yes I am dirty, but I'm a dirty girl so we match :)"

Joe-- I agree run butt and elbows to another doc..that dudes a quack..my wasting (I don't like to call it atrophy anymore) started in my foot pad..and my GP said the same thing about the hands...its been 3 months since my stuff started and I still don't have atrophy at the "typical" place in the hands but I have it in my bicep and feet. I have stopped including my tongue because it has beefed up over the last month and it shrank symmetrically so I just say it has shrank a little.

But I will reaffirm if it is ALS that caused your atrophy it will show up on EMG. My wasting is again from Mononeuritis Multiplex whether it be CIDP or MMN who cares its just a name.

Love
Kelly Belly

Andy,

I love you mantra...I repeat most of those same things except for the whole clean emg thing...so I say "Yes I am dirty, but I'm a dirty girl so we match :)"

Joe-- I agree run butt and elbows to another doc..that dudes a quack..my wasting (I don't like to call it atrophy anymore) started in my foot pad..and my GP said the same thing about the hands...its been 3 months since my stuff started and I still don't have atrophy at the "typical" place in the hands but I have it in my bicep and feet. I have stopped including my tongue because it has beefed up over the last month and it shrank symmetrically so I just say it has shrank a little.

But I will reaffirm if it is ALS that caused your atrophy it will show up on EMG. My wasting is again from Mononeuritis Multiplex whether it be CIDP or MMN who cares its just a name.

Love
Kelly Belly

Haha; that's a great slogan Kelly. I told my doc that if they scanned my mind, then maybe the results would be dirty! My latest EMG wasn't totally clean, but it wasn't indicative of ALS either.

It's been a while since I had to really reassure myself, but it happens. It's just a process of listening to rationality instead of listening to fear, something that can be inherently irrational.

I sometimes have to do the mantra but I've been through so much in the last three month..I'm actually starting to not care...is that bad or good I don't know?

Haha I told my Dr. G not to emg my head bc its all dirty up there...lol..they all thought I was a trip. Andy what did your EMG show? Mine is all messed up, but not indicative of ALS either. Now my antibodies are abnormal so I am excited to go to neurodiagnostics on Monday to get my opinion.

sorry for hijacking your thread Joe :)

I hate hearing that whole "between thumb and forefinger" atrophy thing. That's exactly where my atrophy is.

::repeats to self::
If it were ALS, it would have shown up on EMG.
If it were ALS, it would be much more obvious after 3.5 years of twitching.
If it were ALS, the weakness would be impossible to ignore.
If it were ALS, the atrophy would have progressed much more in the 2.5 years since it showed up.
If it were ALS, weakness would have shown up before atrophy.

...OK, I feel better now.

And rightly so. My first symptoms were in my left thumb and I have checked off every one of your points above in my progression.

(says the PALS who now types with his feet)

Aw man, Trfogey. You are a voice of rationality around here, and it sucks to think of what you're going through. Even when I think I can empathize, I can't even come close. Thank you for the reassurance; you have my word that I won't go seeking any more unless something drastically changes. My primary reason for being on the "Do I Have ALS" boards is to help people who are worried about ALS, but really shouldn't be-- like I once was. And to help the PALS by handling some of the "I twitch...is this ALS?" workload!

Also, I like to speak with other people who also have some neurological/neruomuscular problems but are undiagnosed. Many of us have something wrong that shares some symptoms with early ALS, even though it's not actually that disease. Which leads me to...

Kelly--

My EMG reported said:

"Nerve conduction studies in the upper extremities and right leg are normal, with one possible exception: left ulnar ADM CMAP revealed conduction velocity across the elbow that was more than 10 m/s slower than the forearm segment. Left ulnar ADM inching across the elbow, however, did not reveal any segments with significant slowing (latency difference of >0.8 msec.) Concentric needle EMG of the right arm was normal.

Normal study with a single borderline result of uncertain significance. Clinical correlation is advised. There is no electrophysiologic evidence of brachial plexopathy on either side, or of a disorder affecting cervical roots or motor neurons on the right."

I also had an earlier EMG that noted a lot of fasiculations, but nothing else. This latest report was confusing, because my doctor initially told me this was part of the "needle" exam, not the nerve conduction, but later a neuro told me this was nerve conduction, not needle. With the help of the folks on this board, I believe the latter.

I try not to be haunted by the last sentence in the EMG report, but it does bother me. It says I don't have any signs of plexopathy on either side, and no signs of Motor Neuron/cervical root problems on the right...does that mean I do show signs of Motor Neuron/cervical root stuff on the left?

At first I thought I was just a BFSer, and had come to peace with that, but then other symptoms showed up. The atrophy in my thenar muscle on my hand is the most obvious, but I also have some "suspected" atrophy on the pad of my left foot and on the side of it as well. I get tons of weakness with exertion; sometimes after exercise I can't walk correctly or lift certain fingers...but all the strength eventually returns. The muscles burn like crazy, but then they get better. My foot scrapes a lot, but I'm not tripping. My muscles can shake like crazy, but some days are worse than others. I still twitch (almost) everywhere--- face, tongue, hand, back, butt, blah blah. These are all signs that something is wrong, but it's just not consistent with what I understand about ALS.

I had cancer when I was 12, so sometimes I think this may just be long term effects of radiation to my spine. But really, I have no idea and neither do my docs. I'm concerned that it's getting worse, but the progression is really slow. I'm pretty darn convinced that it's not ALS, it's just disconcerting knowing something is going on, but not being able to identify or treat it.

Ha, maybe this would have been a better PM...but I also think open conversations about stuff like this are good for other undiagnosed folks to see. I've been following your story on these boards, and you really have been going through quite a bit. How you holding up now? I actually think that "don't care" attitude can help; it's a sign that your skin is getting tougher, which is necessary to go through some of this medical crap. But ultimately you should care, and I'm sure deep down you really do. Hopefully the docs can give you some concrete answers, and corresponding treatment, asap.

Last edited:
I'm doing ok..The reactions to the rocephin suck bad but my swallowing has been so much better. My speech has improved slightly. I have involvement in all four limbs now. I'm just denervating all over the place lol..but it is very multifocal.

My foot which was the first thing to be involved finally stopped twitching and the foot pad is looking a little better but I will still require orthopedics. My left bicep suffered defeat today and is so sore.

I just wonder when this madness will end. I am starting steroids tomorrow along with the rocephin. She just keeps telling me to endure. No pain today but honestly I wanted to kill myself last night and I cried most of the day over it. The neurontin didnt even touch it.

My question is..how in the heck can I have documented and noticeable atrophy with active denervation and no significant weakness or cramping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back