Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ca
City
los angeles
Hi everyone,

So far the past few weeks or so, I've been experiencing a very "dull" weakness in the right arm and hand. Its hard to explain, but it feels like it doesn't want to move as easy as the left. Theres no twitching and no soreness, just weakness. Lately, I have noticed it is becoming a bit harder (not impossible, just harder) to clench a fist with my right hand. It certainly takes more effort then the left.

As I said, the weakness is isolated to the right arm/hand, no twitching, and I'm just 23. Input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Go see your physician and get yourself checked out, but until then do daily range of motion excersize.

don't worry, but just get checked out if it is causing you worry...odds are certainly in your favor....it could be anything or nothing at this point.

Starting to get a bit more worried. Today my right arm/hand are as weak as ever. Its so hard to put in words, but it basically resembles a rubbery/trembley feeling.....like you just held your arm in the air for about 10 mins. Not sore though. Muscle fasciculations are occurring but only a few times a day. Also, no twitching (and when I say twitch I mean quick involuntary movement of the arms/hand) is happening yet.

I hate to bother all of you but I'm in a real pickle here. I just recently moved to Japan to work and marry my long time girlfriend and am still in the process of getting set up. I still have my America insurance, which covers me here, but I basically have to pay all medical expenses up front and then they'll reimburse me later. But I honestly can wait no longer.....I need to get this checked out. Thing is, doctors work a lot different here. There are no out-patient neurologists. I basically have to go to a hospital with a neuro clinic and request to see one. That being said, since everything so far is limited to my right arm/hand right now, should I just request an EMG? I figure thats the best route to go for me at this point, as it can at least rule out that I have ALS (in which I can probably stay here) OR.....it might show that ALS is possible......in which I'd probably be heading back to the states soon after for more tests.

What do you guys think? Sorry to bother you again, but I really have no where to turn....

Another similar related feeling would be that my arm/hand just overall, feel "tired". Also, I'm still able to move ever finger and clench my fist (with a little effort).

No one here is qualified to answer your question, so you had better get yourself to a doctor for answers. What on earth made you think that you could get answers to your questions here? Your symptoms sound nothing like ALS.

No one here is qualified to answer your question, so you had better get yourself to a doctor for answers. What on earth made you think that you could get answers to your questions here? Your symptoms sound nothing like ALS.

I understand no one here is a doctor, however I was simply asking for a suggestion on what test I should make sure to have that may rule out ALS or suggest it (which I think is an EMG). As mentioned, I'm living in a foreign country, still under American Insurance, so its not easy to just set up an appointment and get checked out. Also, because I'm paying out of pocket, I'm trying to do the most cost-effective way of seeing if this is something that needs to be checked out more (for which I would have to return to America for) or if I'm fine.

Also, from what I've read, the symptoms I described seem to be spot on for early symptoms of ALS.....so I believed?

Again, I really don't mean t bother any of you. Just looking for a little advice for when I go into the hospital later this week. (as mentioned, no out-patient neros here......have to go to a hospital).

"Also, from what I've read, the symptoms I described seem to be spot on for early symptoms of ALS.....so I believed?"

ALS doesn't hit the whole hand at once. It usually starts with weakness in the thumb and spreads to the fingers. And, from my experience, bending the fingers has never been a problem. Straightening the fingers is the problem.

What other symptoms do you have that make you think you have ALS?

"Also, from what I've read, the symptoms I described seem to be spot on for early symptoms of ALS.....so I believed?"

ALS doesn't hit the whole hand at once. It usually starts with weakness in the thumb and spreads to the fingers. And, from my experience, bending the fingers has never been a problem. Straightening the fingers is the problem.

What other symptoms do you have that make you think you have ALS?

Well I can't say symptoms started with any particular finger. It seemed to happen all at once with the hand weakness. However, similar to clenching the fist, it takes a lot more effort to straighten my right hand (along with the fingers) then with my left hand.....almost as if I'm pulling/stretching the muscles more then its meant to be pulled/stretched.

About a few weeks after this, my arm began to feel weak too, and now I'm getting fasciculations on that side as well. However I haven't experienced any cramping as of yet and the fasciculations come in spurts.....never lasting more then 3 seconds....

And you Googled on causes for "twitching" and found ALS, right?

Carpal tunnel syndrome is much more likely to be your problem than ALS is, especially at your age. Many of the same symptoms in the hand, but treatable. Good luck to you.

Or a pinched nerve somewhere, maybe in neck or shoulder. Don't ask for a Neuro first. See what a GP says first. Probably cheaper.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back