Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Vandalia
Okay I tend to worry and freak out about stuff. I had an episode 2 weeks ago, where I was eating. After I was done eating I started coughing and gagging and spitting up foamy spit. My husband called 911 I was barely breathing. they took me to the hospital where they did nothing but told me I probably had GERD follow up with my GI doc. So I did the next day. He scoped me said everything looked fine. I was still having breathing issues, went to my family doc, she put me on amoxicilian, an inhaler gave me some zyrtec. Sent me on my way. ended up back in the ER that eve with breathing problems. Lung sound clear doc said probably have bronchitis. Gave me prednisone for 5 days, breathing treatments. I seem to be doing better but I am still having a swallowing issue. I saw a pathologist yesterday she put a camera in my throat said no mucus (which is what my problem is feels like I can't swallow cause of all the mucus) I am somewhat short of breath but I know bronchitis can last for awhile. She said could be GERD in my throat follow back up with my pulmonary doc. I have been having pains / weakness in my legs on / off (more left) for the past 2 years. It will go away and come back. I havent had anything until the last week where it just feels like my legs are weak. I am not tripping over anything and it comes and goes. Also left arm has been bothering me. They thought I was having heart issues over the past 2 years. I have had every heart test done. The arm just feels weak but not dropping anything and it is always my left side of my body. They are sending me to Cleveland Clinic for my heart and I see a neurologist next week. I googled my symptoms and ALS came up and again, I am freaking out.
I am a 34 y.o. female. I know it can happen to anyone I have just been through the ringer in 2 years with testing and I just want to feel like my normal self again. I used to be so outgoing but now I dont want to do anything. I am also going to see a psychologist.
Does the swallowing along with the left leg and arm pain sound like ALS or could all of this be nerve related ? Just curious.
I just want to be able to eat. I have probably lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Not sure if muscle wasting is happening I am sure it is with the lack of food. I live on protein shakes, pudding, some toast water and supplements. I just have a heard time swallowing saliva and it feels like something is choking me below my adams apple. I am so frustrated and hungry!
Thank you for your time and God Bless you all!

forgot to mention i have been feeling twitching all over. comes and goes. sometimes lower abdomen, arm back, like a flutter. it was in my left eyelid for awhile but everyone i know just thinks all of this is stress.

As I told you in the previous thread you started, your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me. You are misinterpreting some terms used by doctors and trying to shoehorn them into your circumstances where they do not belong. Therefore, your ALS worries are nobody 's fault but your own and you are the only one who can dismiss those worries.

You have both too little and too much knowledge about ALS. Too much knowledge -- you know a few of the general symptoms of ALS. Too little knowledge -- you have no clue how these symptoms present in a real case of ALS, so you can't see that the symptoms you have are completely unlike those found in ALS.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to stop thinking that you have ALS. Despite what you think you know, your symptoms point to something else. You control what you think, so think about something else.

Good luck.

You know trfogey, but I am sorry you feel this way. I am just trying to find help and support, and I apologize for looking on the internet in the meantime before I go to my doctor. I was just trying to research stuff before I go to the doctor to make sure I have my ducks in a row. Docs tend to not listen to younger females very much.
I have read other peoples issues where they have problems swallowing, lump in the throat, muscle weakness and twitching and they have ALS. All of the current symptoms I am experiencing.
I know everyone's body is different and I am not saying that I have it, was just wanting some information on if anyone else had experienced this and peoples thoughts.

I apologize for trying to be pro-active in my health.

I wish you well.

modublin22,

Yes, some people who have ALS have symptoms that they describe in a manner similar to how you describe yours. Unfortunately for them (and fortunately not for you), those same people also have other problems in those regions of their bodies. ALS patients who have difficulty swallowing usually have problems with speaking clearly because problems in the tongue causes them to slur their words.

Those same people walk around with tissues stuffed in the corners of their mouths so they don't drool all over themselves. Why do they do that? Because their swallowing reflex is gone and they don't have enough control over the muscles around their mouths to keep their lips closed. Then, when the saliva that they can no longer swallow builds up enough in their mouths, it can overflow and run down their chins.

Being proactive about your health is a good thing. Doing research about health issues is also a good thing, provided that you don't use research as an excuse to justify self-diagnosis. You claim to be in the medical field, so you know how foolish that kind of behavior is.

All the best to you.

You say your symptoms come and go. That doesn't happen in ALS. I'm no doc but bet that you have something other than ALS. That's my opinion and I believe you were asking for them. Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back