Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Vernon
Hello all~ I haven't bee around in a while. Long story short, my MIL is failing. Her breathing is down and all her doctors are wanting her to make a decision about either a trach/vent or going o hospice. She isn't letting us know, which makes it clear to us that the trach/vent is her choice for now.
My queston is, she only has medicare,medicaid will never be an option b/c issues but, with going on a vent, how do we take care of her and pay for more nursing.
I hate that this comes down to money. She deserves better, she deserves more, she dosent deserve this horrible disease that leaves her in a chair, unable to talk walk, move her hands, play with her grandchildren to live. no one does.
I am so afraid of something happening and this all comming to a head very soon. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
I hope you are all doing well. I pray for all of you daily, you are all in my heart
In friendship
Jeannie

jeannie,

I'm very sorry to hear your mother is not doing well. An avenue you may want to explore would be any life insurance policies your mother might have. Many policies will allow you to draw from the face amount in the event of a diagnosis of a terminal illness. The amount drawn can sometimes be as much as 40% of the face amount.

An easy example:

If the face amount is $100,000.00, 40% would be $40,000.00. This amount usually can be taken early but you'll have to submit a claim through the company's claim department.

There have been a few on this forum that have been able to take advantage of this type of benefit.

Zaphoon (former life insurance sales, navy cryptologist, itinerant preacher and door-to-door trombone sales)

Last edited:
God Bless you Jeannie!

You can look through my blogs and get an idea what my experiences have been with a trache and vent.

When you have a trache you do not need expensive nursing care, you can hire anyone and train them, it is actually easy.

I know a few PALS that hire at minimum wage, or less, and feed them or have them live-in.

Since there is very little to do they could take correspondence courses, or on-line courses to better themselves. By allowing them to do this you can make arrangements for very low pay.

Today, in my case, they did not have to do one thing except get me a glass of water, once. It was not until after 5:00 PM that I had to use the washroom and be suctioned for the first time all day. That took less than 10 minutes. So after baby sitting me all day the total time worked was 10 minutes, not bad for a full days pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back