Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Midwest
We need information about lift slings. We were told the best would be a full body commode sling. I was just reading on the internet that the best type for ALS patients is the Hygiene/Toileting sling. Thought I would ask advice from people that have used these slings. Thanks

Definitely get a u shaped toileting sling. A commode sling has a hole in the middle of the seat area so you can go to the bathroom through it but you have to leave it in place all the time you are out of bed. You can't get it out from under you while in your chair. It is bulky and interferes with proper positioning in a wheelchair. The dangling straps catch on anything they can. The u shaped split leg toileting sling can be put under you or taken out while you are in bed or in your chair. The open area is much larger for easier bathroom use and washing of your bottom. Get one with and extended back/headrest. I found the sizing to be overly large so if close to the bottom of the size range, size down. And if you have the opportunity, tell the person who recommended a commode sling to research sings because their information is years out of date.

Thanks for the information. I am hoping I can handle this procedure with a lift. I know my hubby will probably have trouble trusting me to do it right to begin with. Patience needed!:-|

you can do it!~just take your time and try not to get frazzled.

Can you practice with someone else in the lift first?

Invite someone over, a friend or family member -- have them lift you while your husband watches. You will benefit from knowing what it feels like and he will benefit from the entertainment.

You can get solid or mesh slings but we found mesh easier to position and obviously less of a big deal to get wet.

An OT should teach you how to use your particular hoist, this will give you lots of confidence. If the OT puts you in it you will know what it feels like and you can practice either on hubby or on the OT before you are left alone to use it.

They are so easy to use once you have been shown. After the horror it had become to position Chris in the bed I just loved our hoist from the first try of it.

Also the slit U shaped sling is really the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back