Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Nuts dropped me a note in my profile page to check up on me. I responded but was told that my almost 4,000 word response needed to be trimmed to 1,000 words. So rather than to take the time to trim it... or shorten it... I decided to drop it here so that others could also catch up on us. I keep looking for time to be a more active participant here... but time seems to be at a premium. I'm now at the point where I am considering the closing of my business of 27 years and staying home. Perhaps if that happens, I'll be here more frequently. Regardless, here's my reply to Nuts...

Greetings, my friend!

We're doing as well as anyone can do with this nasty disease. We start every day with a morning cuddle and continue to find things to laugh and smile about. I keep telling Darcey, "I'll keep making every day the best it can be for as long as you'll let me". We both know how much work it is and there never seems to be enough time. But this last Monday I was rewarded for my efforts.

Every other Monday, I don't bring Darcey into work with me. Instead, I leave her at home as we have a home health care person (Gina) come in at 11:30AM and stay for 4 hours. This gives me an opportunity to do any running or work that I need to do without having to worry about leaving Darcey alone for too long a time. Our time apart, when it happens, is often limited by time between bathroom trips. We've been doing this routine for several months now and it has been great. This time, I left home about 9:30AM and headed into work. Before leaving, I tucked a wireless phone handset next to her TV remote that sits in her lap.

At this point, Darcey's arms are almost like her legs... they no longer move. I think the only reason she is still able to even minimally move her arms is her determination to move the mouse and continue using Facebook, email and Netflix. I do any keyboarding that she needs and even dial the phone for her. On good days, she can push the phone's speaker button to answer the phone.

At about 10AM, Darcey was beginning to get some gurgling in her lungs. These days, she has no cough that has any merit to it. But it would be okay as Gina would be there at 11:30. By 10:20, the gurgling was much worse... she was feeling like she was trying to breathe under water and was beginning to feel those dark edges that precede fainting or blacking out. At this point she became aware of the fact that she wouldn't make it to Gina's normal arrival at 11:30. So she attempted to call me at work. After multiple attempts, each more difficult than the one before, she managed to get the right number. I answered the phone at 10:30 to hear, "I'm having problems breathing". The next 10 minutes seemed like hours as I sought to get someone there more quickly than the 20 minutes it would take me. If I were to write about those 10 minutes, this note would turn into a novel. I'll spare you that. But that night, when I came home and heard Darcey describe just how close she was to blacking out, I realized that for as much as I thought I was ready for that impending day, I'm not. In fact, I don't think I will ever really be ready. I asked how she managed to dial the phone. She said that as she contemplated this day being "that day", she decided that she was still finding too much enjoyment in each day and was not ready to let go. So she fought through the blackness and the failing hands to get a call through to me. And so, the effort of each day... the determination to make it the very best it can be... was rewarded her determination that "my days are still good".

Thanks for asking about us. We continue to learn more about ourselves, life and love with each passing day. How's Matt doing with his mountain climbing PWC? Have you gotten any of this nasty snow that we've been getting? We're north of you in VA. We were in Durham this last December for a concert... but really haven't gone anywhere else this winter. We're both looking forward to spring.

Again, thanks...

Jim

thanks for the update, Jim, grim though it sounds. hug to you both!

Wow, what a beautiful writer you are and thanks for the update! I'm glad Nuts asked. It's a love story for sure. Making a decision to close your business can't be easy with a lot of factors to be considered.

I really wish I had more encouragement and hope to offer you, I can only say as a caregiver I'm there with you in spirit and support.

Sherry

Having a cuddle to start the day is something my hubby and I enjoy also.
Thanks for sharing your story, love to you both.
Gem

When you're still finding some enjoyment in every day, that speaks loudly about the wonderful caregiver in your life. God bless you both!

Jim, I'm glad you answered here, as I'm sure others have also been wondering about our favorite lovebirds. What a fighter your Darcey is, and what a wonderful husband you are. It must be sad to close your business, but I'm also sure that there is no contest in your mind. Matt has recently decided that he will be vented, something I want as long as he feels that his life has value. I know this means that I will have to unplug him one day, but that's my part of the bargin--the price of keeping him with me as long as our llife together outweighs what ALS does to him. In the meantime, we love our morning cuddles also.

Matt is still enjoying his "outdoor" chair, as he calls it. We have had an incredible amount of snow here also, so much lately it's enabled him to get out of the house more safely than the C300 would allow. I've had to catch him once when he wouldn't wait for me to salt the driveway and he started sliding downhill sideways, so now the Frontier is back in the house (he had t in the garage) AND he's being a bit more cautious! We're actually planning another trip to Colorado during hunting season--something he hadn't expected to do. The logistics are a bit daunting, but I just think of you and Darcey and start finding solutions. Thank you for that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 413
Steve got out with a friend for a spring training game yesterday. He was nervous about it. But his friend was great. Careful with him in the wheelchair, got him food and drink, helped him get to the restroom, etc. (Steve's power chair isn't here yet) He commented that he didn't think he could do those things anymore. I told him we may have to do them a bit differently or take more time, but most things can be done!

Jim, It is good to hear from you, It has been awhile. Take care of yourselves and enjoy those beautiful days together!

Hi Jim,

you may need your caregiver to come in earlier so you can leave her with some one just in case. that is what I had to do also. maybe even a could of more days a week so you can get to work and do more. I would image it is exhausting for her to be there all day, and I am sure you don't get as much done as you would like with her needs.

But I am glad all is going pretty good for you there--don't be a stranger!

And Darcy could join too! we would love her!

Jim, that sounds so much like our days. Grumpy and I spend hours going over our large photo collection each week. 5 years of coast to coast travel has left us with so many memories! As long as he is still able to laugh then that makes it all worth it!
I am so glad to hear Darcey is still so determined! Hug her for me!
~Kaye

So wonderful to hear from so many of you! Thank you!

@Max - So glad to see that you're back online (which suggests that you are feeling better than when you were not online). You were missed. Hugs have been shared, passed around and sent back your way.

@DreamsEnd - Thank you, Sherry, for your comments. One of the things I've been privileged to take from all of this ALS stuff (not the word I considered using) is a realignment towards being able to properly order priorities and what really IS important in the day-to-day. And as far as encouragement, it doesn't get much better than to have a fellow CALS (who you know gets it) say "I'm there with you".

@Gembead - It actually took us a awhile to get back to cuddling in the morning. We do about 20 - 30 minutes of movement and stretching each morning. One day, Darcey had not awakened to my movement and the light being on so I got down on my knees next to the bed and put my arms under her head and across her upper chest area. It felt SOOOO good that it is now included in our daily morning routine. As always, Gem, thanks for the warmth of your love!

@Jeanau - Thank you for the compliment. My smile is wider and my chest a bit broader. But the truth is that Darcey and I are both connected in the dance that we do each day; each encouraging, appreciating, motivating and loving the other.

@Nuts - I'm glad to hear that the two of you have come to the joint understanding and desire to seek an extension of the time you will share together. These truly are decisions that only the two of you can make. I laughed at the description of Matt moving sideways down the ramp. Darcey did the same to me. As she began turning sideways, I lurched out to her and almost went down myself. Fortunately, I got her pointed in the right direction and we are now wiser for the event. We've marked "sledding down the wheelchair ramp" off of her bucket list. Thanks for reaching out to check on us. It is good to feel somewhat connected again.

@gooseberry - You're right, Steph... rather than accepting that something can't be done, we simply need to ask what we change so that we can do what we want. I consider this as our way to challenge ALS rather than to outright accept its implied limitations.

@Barbie - Going to work continues to work well for both of us. Darcey gets out of the house that would otherwise close in on her and I get to be close enough to not worry about how she might be doing. But each day brings another change and we continue to adjust. I've invited Darcey here many times...and often read posts to her. So she knows many of you by name. She can no longer type and we've still got to transition to the Tobii. But who knows what tomorrow might bring. I will let her know she's received another personal invite.

@Grumpy'sWife - Kaye... Good to hear that you and Grumpy continue to do the things that make each of you smile and take joy in the time together. I've passed your hug to Darcey and she sends it back doubled! Thanks!

Jim

You brought tears to my eyes, Jim. I pray you and Darcy are filled to overflowing with grace, peace, comfort, courage, endurance, and the joy of your mutual love.

Phil

> and the joy of your mutual love

Ditto that!

Jim your stories and love for Darcy really inspire me especially on the hard days. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing you and Darcy with us. I love how you love and care for each other.

Lucky for us you are prolific as well as eloquent. You and Darcy demonstrate such grace in the face of this beast. Thank you for sharing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back